Hello from southern Oregon.

Roguejimmer

Confused about dryer sheets
I'm a maintenance employee with the USPS. Hired in 1995. 59 years old now. Been in the Thrift Savings Plan the whole time. Looking for advice on how to eventually transfer this TSP $$ to, possibly, Vanguard...

I am guessing that your TSP is a 401K. If so, you can transfer it into an IRA. Just call up Vanguard and they will walk you through the process/paperwork.

Welcome to the board! Oregon is a beautiful and interesting state. I’m also a federal employee planning to retire later this year and to move to Oregon to be near family. I have family in Central Oregon and Springfield that I visit every other year but have not yet been to Southern Oregon but it is on my list.

If you decide to roll over your TSP to an IRA, just don’t do a full withdrawal as it is best to retain the TSP option. As someone described in response to your other thread, one approach is to roll over part of the TSP into IRA equities for better investment options but to keep a portion in the TSP G fund as part of the bond allocation. The G fund is a great stable value fund and one of the best features of the TSP. I’m not that savvy of an investor so will probably keep all of my investments in the TSP as am happy with the fund selection and the ultra low fees. I’d also recommend taking a FERS retirement planning class that should be offered by your agency – the ones that I have attended have been very helpful.

Is there a particular reason you'd like to transfer money out of the TSP?

I transferred all my TSP savings to Vanguard a couple years ago. The Vanguard advisor took care of everything, including several three-way telephone calls with him, me, and the TSP folks. My case was a little more complicated since some of my TSP contributions were earned while in a combat zone, making them tax-free. But Vanguard was very helpful.
I transferred out of TSP because I wanted to consolidate most of my savings, so when (if) I kick the bucket, wife will not be overwhelmed figuring out where the $$ are.

TSP is not a bad place to be, rates set .03, sounds cheap to me.

You can convert to an annuity through TSP can't you?

Welcome from a fellow Southern Oregonian (near Hugo). Can't help you with the TSP transfer - just wanted to say hello. Vanguard has certainly been very helpful to me and a big reason why ER became possible almost 15 years ago. Give them a call...

Back
Top Bottom