Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Hello from the UK ... retiring in 2019
Old 12-11-2018, 11:39 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello from the UK ... retiring in 2019

Hi,

Not sure if there are many UK members out there!?

So, I’m late 40s, fed up with the relentless all-consuming nature of work, and have decided to retire mid 2019. It’s not that I don’t like work, per se, but if it could be, for example, 5 hours a day, 3 days a week, I’d be fine carrying on. But, it isn’t! It seems to be all or nothing!

Married, my wife doesn’t work, a couple of teenage kids. They’ve all become used to a fairly extravagant lifestyle over the years (but, personally, I prefer simplicity), so there are likely to be a few hard conversations in the new year!

Anyone faced a similar situation before?
Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2018, 04:52 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I didn't have that situation, but I suggest that you give everyone a clear explanation of the future financial rules so they can get used to what is coming. I am from the US but have been to the UK 3 times, and will be visiting again next year.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:19 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Have you come up with a future budget vs. the current budget, so you could explain in more granular fashion how the expenses will change?
Does the wife have any hints about these thoughts?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:22 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It depends how you define simplicity doesn't it? That discussion is no different if you are here or in the UK...
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #5
Administrator

Welcome to the site Adventurer

My wife and I grew up in the UK, myself in Co. Durham, my wife in Manchester. We moved to the USA in 1987, retired in 2010, traveled for a few years and moved back in May 2016 to North Yorkshire, to the town we were living in when our children were born.

How about yourself?
Old 12-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hello Adventurer, welcome to the forum.

Before making any decision, make sure that the wife and kids are fully on board with that simpler living. In my experience, when you are not the one working for the money, it is much harder to give up a lavish lifestyle.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for all of your responses.

Yes, I have a clear annual budget, perfectly manageable with a bit of common sense. I’ve discussed with my wife a few times; she’s more concerned that I’ll be bored and directionless. But, I suspect she would also not appreciate me imposing budgets ... !! But, that’s perfectly manageable ... I think.

Alan, hi from close to London! I grew up in North Yorkshire, actually, Swaledale to be precise. Is that close to you? But, since then, I’ve lived in Scotland, London, and many countries overseas. The first thing we’ll do one I retire is put the house on the market and move somewhere with fewer people ...
Old 12-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

And, what’s the ‘confused about dryer sheets’ thing all about, please.? Have I done something inadvertently in my registration?
Old 12-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
Thanks for all of your responses.

Yes, I have a clear annual budget, perfectly manageable with a bit of common sense. I’ve discussed with my wife a few times; she’s more concerned that I’ll be bored and directionless. But, I suspect she would also not appreciate me imposing budgets ... !! But, that’s perfectly manageable ... I think.

Alan, hi from close to London! I grew up in North Yorkshire, actually, Swaledale to be precise. Is that close to you? But, since then, I’ve lived in Scotland, London, and many countries overseas. The first thing we’ll do one I retire is put the house on the market and move somewhere with fewer people ...
We live in a market town not far from Whitby, Guisborough.

As for dryer sheets...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ets-44456.html
Old 12-12-2018, 01:47 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ah, clear, I understand the dryer sheets now ...
Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome aboard and congrats!
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:41 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

How do the teenagers feel about moving? This will probably affect them more then the budget issue.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:01 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote