Hello from Tokyo, Japan….

Himiko

Confused about dryer sheets
I would not say that I am planning “early” retirement since I am 67 and already past retirement age -- at least the retirement age here in Japan. I have resided in Japan for 30 years. I first came to Japan as an US government employee and spent 20 years here on assignment. After 20 years, I had mandatory retirement from the federal government. For the past ten years I have been employed by a large global corporation here in Tokyo. My contract ends with the company at the end of September of this year, after which I will rely on my federal retirement. My retirement consists of my federal pension, Social Security, and the federal government Thrift Savings Plan (TSP). I also have three Vanguard IRA’s. My TSP savings are currently all in the L-2020 fund; however, since I am retiring this year, I am thinking of moving it to the L-Income fund, and also transfer my Vanguard IRA’s into the L-Income fund as well. My assets total $880,000 (TSP, 73.9%; Vanguard Long Term Bond, 7.5%; Wellesley Admiral, 9.2%; and REIT Index Admiral, 9.4%). The L-Income fund has an average annual return of 4.54% (0.38% per month). At that rate I figure that if I withdraw $6,875 per month that my combined TSP L-Income fund should last me until about 2029, at which time, if I am still around, I will be able to live comfortably off my pension and social security for the duration. Of course, I am affected by the yen to dollar exchange rate – which is an unknown variable. (I plan to remain in Japan with my family.)
I look forward to participating in the forums, which I just recently discovered, and welcome any comments or advice regarding my retirement plan.
Thank you.

Cost of living in Japan....

It is a little expensive.... I paid equivalent of $5 tonight for a peach, and $4 for 1/6 cut of a watermelon... of course they were of high quality... probably not much different from a large city in the US for comparable products. Rent for my two bedroom apartment, which is quite spacious and nice, is $2,500 a month... I downsized after my children married and moved out... I was paying equivalent of $8,200 a month, before.

Welcome to the forum, Himiko. It'd be interesting to get your perspective on a lot of things. There are number of expats posting here which brings unique experiences & perspectives.

I'd guess retiring at age 67 in Japan would be qualified as ER given that they live longer :).

Back
Top Bottom