Join Early Retirement Today

Hello, I am new here & I have a question about my mortgage.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello, I am new here & I have a question about my mortgage.

So I refininaced about 1 1/2 years ago with Compass Bank. It is a 30 year fixed second mortgage with a rate of 8.9% in the amount of $100k. On the monthly bill I get from them, it shows that I have $197.01 out of $805.77 going to principle, which leaves $608.76 going to interest. So I assumed that's what it was doing. I later noticed that they put a balance on the lower left hand side & that balance was the same as the previous month. Then I looked back as far as March & it was still the same back then. My bill is due on the 10th & I usually pay it after the 10th but before the 11 day grace period is up. I do this because that is when I have the money to pay it. So when I called they said that interst is being taken from my principle every day that my payment is late. They said it equates to about $25.00 for each day that I'm late. So how could I have a 30 year FIXED loan that could potentially end up being far more than 30 years? This is aggrevating. I have lost about $2,000.00 that should have gone to my principle because I pay my bill a couple of days beyond my due date. Can anyone help me out with this one?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pay the bills on time?
Set up an automatic withdrawal?

Old 07-02-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Not much to say here other than pay it on time I guess. Sounds like you have a sub prime mortgage and pay late, which is a bad combo =/

No idea of your details (i.e. what you make, what your expenses are) but can you afford this house?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #4

My ex thought it was OK to pay the house payment late because the late fee didn't kick in for ten days.

It is NOT OK.

The contract I signed said it would be there on the first of the month.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What are automatic or recurring payments?

Mortgage Servicing: Making Sure Your Payments Count

http://penfed.mortgagewebcenter.com/...ria.asp?PID=22
Old 07-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

The following are only the opinions of a grouchy old LBYM guy.
1. Second mortgages are a mistake.
2. 30 year mortgages, especially second mortgages are a mistake.
3. 8.9% is a lot of interest to be paying with today's interest rates.
4. Making any payment late is a mistake.
The mistakes you are making can keep you in debt and poor for a long time.
Jeff
Old 07-02-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

WOW! I appreciate your honesty. I understand these aren't the best decisions which is why I am getting out of this crap ASAP. I didn't think they could actually take what was scheduled to go to principle and realocate it to interest until after the grace period. I guess I was wrong. I have tried the auto withdrawl at TCF & that is a whole separate issue. I haven't banked there in over two years & they still send me e-mails telling me my mortgage is going to be paid at so & so time. I have tried many times to delete the e-mail notification, but it seems impossible. They can't even find me in their system, but they can e-mail me every month. Nice!! So that is why I chose not to have a bank draft my money. Yes, I can afford my house. I just started a business & I am being very cautious about when I pay myself & how much. I appreciate all of your comments & I am going to change my current morgtage situation. Thanks
Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reference #3 I really doubt (and hope) PENFED would touch this one.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2000 View Post
WOW! I appreciate your honesty. I understand these aren't the best decisions which is why I am getting out of this crap ASAP. I didn't think they could actually take what was scheduled to go to principle and realocate it to interest until after the grace period. I guess I was wrong. I have tried the auto withdrawl at TCF & that is a whole separate issue. I haven't banked there in over two years & they still send me e-mails telling me my mortgage is going to be paid at so & so time. I have tried many times to delete the e-mail notification, but it seems impossible. They can't even find me in their system, but they can e-mail me every month. Nice!! So that is why I chose not to have a bank draft my money. Yes, I can afford my house. I just started a business & I am being very cautious about when I pay myself & how much. I appreciate all of your comments & I am going to change my current morgtage situation. Thanks
Well, TCF is only one financial institution. Find another and do the automatic payments. It really works quite well so I would give another bank a chance.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote