Hello, I am new here & I have a question about my mortgage.

am2000

Confused about dryer sheets
So I refininaced about 1 1/2 years ago with Compass Bank. It is a 30 year fixed second mortgage with a rate of 8.9% in the amount of $100k. On the monthly bill I get from them, it shows that I have $197.01 out of $805.77 going to principle, which leaves $608.76 going to interest. So I assumed that's what it was doing. I later noticed that they put a balance on the lower left hand side & that balance was the same as the previous month. Then I looked back as far as March & it was still the same back then. My bill is due on the 10th & I usually pay it after the 10th but before the 11 day grace period is up. I do this because that is when I have the money to pay it. So when I called they said that interst is being taken from my principle every day that my payment is late. They said it equates to about $25.00 for each day that I'm late. So how could I have a 30 year FIXED loan that could potentially end up being far more than 30 years? This is aggrevating. I have lost about $2,000.00 that should have gone to my principle because I pay my bill a couple of days beyond my due date. Can anyone help me out with this one?

Pay the bills on time?
Set up an automatic withdrawal?

Not much to say here other than pay it on time I guess. Sounds like you have a sub prime mortgage and pay late, which is a bad combo =/

No idea of your details (i.e. what you make, what your expenses are) but can you afford this house?

My ex thought it was OK to pay the house payment late because the late fee didn't kick in for ten days.

It is NOT OK.

The contract I signed said it would be there on the first of the month.

The following are only the opinions of a grouchy old LBYM guy.
1. Second mortgages are a mistake.
2. 30 year mortgages, especially second mortgages are a mistake.
3. 8.9% is a lot of interest to be paying with today's interest rates.
4. Making any payment late is a mistake.
The mistakes you are making can keep you in debt and poor for a long time.
Jeff

WOW! I appreciate your honesty. I understand these aren't the best decisions which is why I am getting out of this crap ASAP. I didn't think they could actually take what was scheduled to go to principle and realocate it to interest until after the grace period. I guess I was wrong. I have tried the auto withdrawl at TCF & that is a whole separate issue. I haven't banked there in over two years & they still send me e-mails telling me my mortgage is going to be paid at so & so time. I have tried many times to delete the e-mail notification, but it seems impossible. They can't even find me in their system, but they can e-mail me every month. Nice!! So that is why I chose not to have a bank draft my money. Yes, I can afford my house. I just started a business & I am being very cautious about when I pay myself & how much. I appreciate all of your comments & I am going to change my current morgtage situation. Thanks

WOW! I appreciate your honesty. I understand these aren't the best decisions which is why I am getting out of this crap ASAP. I didn't think they could actually take what was scheduled to go to principle and realocate it to interest until after the grace period. I guess I was wrong. I have tried the auto withdrawl at TCF & that is a whole separate issue. I haven't banked there in over two years & they still send me e-mails telling me my mortgage is going to be paid at so & so time. I have tried many times to delete the e-mail notification, but it seems impossible. They can't even find me in their system, but they can e-mail me every month. Nice!! So that is why I chose not to have a bank draft my money. Yes, I can afford my house. I just started a business & I am being very cautious about when I pay myself & how much. I appreciate all of your comments & I am going to change my current morgtage situation. Thanks

Well, TCF is only one financial institution. Find another and do the automatic payments. It really works quite well so I would give another bank a chance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom