Join Early Retirement Today

Hello, I'm New
Old 12-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello, I'm New

I have checked out this site before and there seems like alot of great advice so I decided to join. I am 46 have three kids (16, 13, 12) and a wonderful supportive wife. I sold my construction company at 42 worked for the buyer until 44 and have been retired for the past few years. My days are spent working out and piddling around the house until the kids get home then I am a full time tutor to my kids as I have relearned all the stuff I once learned in school and had no use for until now (quantum physics give me a break).

My experience in investing has been somewhat distressing. I picked a not so great time to get into the markets about two years ago. I have been through 3 sets of brokers as each of them keeps switching firms. I have finally decided to go self directed with fidelity. Why pay them .7% for setting up an allocation and investing me in mutual funds. Seems insane.

I am very conservative as an investor. I think you really only learn how risk tolerant you are after you have been through a market like we have in the last year and you correlate the stock market dive with how much sleep your getting. As for me I was not getting much and I was only 40% equities. That being said, I am wondering how to calculate a cash reserves and portfolio allocation given that I am only 46 with kids and no income. My investments total about $4.6 million and no debt. Are there any good resources or tools that take into account ones early retirement age, kids and no income in planning what I can spend, and what allocations I should have given my risk tolerance. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Sowhatdoidonow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do some searches on this forum, maybe use phrases like "passive investing versus active management", or "slice and dice"...just poke around. We have bandied about many topics that cover what you are looking for.

How are you handling health insurance coverage??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Health Insurance
Old 12-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Health Insurance

Well, as for me I am uninsurable given some preexisting heart issues. When Cobra ran out I put the wife and kids on a policy with Aetna and pay about $275 for them. As for me I was able to get on Georgia's assigned risk pool. I pay only $315 per month plus have a $5k deductible that I will spend on prescription alone. Not near as bad as I thought it would be. Don't know if health care passes whether I will be worse or better off quite frankly.

Sam
Sowhatdoidonow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You can also click on 'Links' at the top of the forum page that will have additional info as well.

Welcome to the forum Sam.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi Sam, and welcome.

For your asset allocation question, google asset allocation calculator. You'll find dozens that try to measure your risk tolerance and propose an appropriate asset allocation. Try several of them and you'll probably get at least a general idea of what you might be comfortable with. With your net worth, unless you live a pretty expensive lifestyle, you should be fine with a pretty conservative allocation.

FIRECalc is a retirement calculator that can help answser your other questions. There's a link at the bottom of every page.

I admire your tutoring -- that must bring you great pleasure.

Again, welcome!

Coach