Join Early Retirement Today

Hello I'm Tim
Old 02-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hello I'm Tim

I'm a 53 year old federal employee, and looking forward to retire
in less than 3 years. I'm looking to move to an income tax free state and then travel extensively, or find a good place to call home. Still deciding at this point.
roadyrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome, Tim. We're glad you're here.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:56 PM   #3

Welcome. During the three years, I think this forum will provide you with a lot of good information to be prepared for retirement. Read on!
Old 02-21-2019, 08:05 PM   #4
gone traveling

Don’t focus on income taxes.
Property and sales taxes also count.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:22 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome, i vote Texas.
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome Tim. I moved to an income tax free state because RMD taxess are going to be big for me.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:50 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in a similar situation. Trying to figure out where I want to live when I ER. I won't stay where I am, but as I think about where to move, I'm realizing that davebarnes is right and there's more than state income taxes or state and local taxes as a whole that determine the cost of living. I also don't want cost of living to be the only factor I consider, though it's obviously a very important factor. It's a bit overwhelming trying to figure out when and where to retire.
NomDeER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:52 AM   #8
gone traveling

Welcome and consider Florida!
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:58 AM   #9
gone traveling

I was a 53 year old federal employee planning retirement at 57. I waited until 62 for the money. one tier of your FERS retirement is the SUPPLIMENT that will pay an amount equal to your social security. every dollar you earn, will be deducted from that supplement. Also, at 50 (I think) you can pay a 'catchup' ,amount into your TSP, to build your retirement nest egg. things to ponder....
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Don’t focus on income taxes.
Property and sales taxes also count.

Agree with Dave. Look at total cost of living picture. Yes, you can find states or locations with lower overall tax costs.

With three years until retirement, stick around here and you will be prepared for a successful retirement.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome!

EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome! I can't imagine moving to a state only because of its low taxation. I want to be happy where I live, and will pay the price to live there. You likely won't be travelling full-time, and if you are, then put your stuff in storage, and don't move somewhere just because it's cheap.

Do consider the cost of travel from your new home to the places you want to go. You'll likely want to be near a city with a major airport hub, and these are usually not the cheapest places to be. Overall cost (flying, property taxes, income taxes, taxes on retirement funds, etc.) is what matters, along with quality of living!

Good luck in your quest!
HI Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:44 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBirdly View Post
Beat me to it. This was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw Tim in the topic.
Ready2Go is offline   Reply With Quote