Hello! My name is Jenni

LoveNumbers

Dryer sheet wannabe
Have been reading here for about 8 months now.  Finally gathered enough courage to introduce myself.

Personal bio:

1.  married(47) with one husband (54).
2.  LBYM faithfully.
3.  study numbers for a living.
4.  enjoy my work in general but have trouble getting out of bed in any given winter morning.
5.  not sure if I want to or if I can afford to ER.
6.  trying to learn more about investment.
7.  have a diversified prtflio 60/10/30.
8.  house and two cars paid for.
9.  live in DC metro area.
10. love biking/hybrid on the C&O and fishing.

I really admire the regular contributors here and the wealth of knowlege you shared.   You seem to know exactly what you want out of life and just do it.  DH and I are still searching for our purposes at our not-so-young age.  Just want to say a big THANK-YOU to y'all.

There was a poll for folks btwn 30~39.  Why is there not one for 40~49 folks?   I would love to see what other folks in my age group are doing.

Jenni

Welcome to the board, Jenni.

LoveNumbers said:
DH and I are still searching for our purposes at our not-so-young age.
I sure hope there's no deadlines on that search. I'm going to keep looking for at least another four or five decades myself.

LoveNumbers said:
There was a poll for folks btwn 30~39. Why is there not one for 40~49 folks? I would love to see what other folks in my age group are doing.
Go ahead and start one!

LoveNumbers said:
3.  study numbers for a living.
5.  not sure if I want to or if I can afford to ER.

Welcome to the forum.  There are plenty people here in your age group, I'm one of them.

#3 and #5 (if I can afford to ER) seem contradicting.  It's not that complicate at all.  Take your annual expense and multiply it by a constant, 25, if you are conservative.  Look for thread discussing the Safe Withdrawal Rate (SWR), if you don't already know it.

Welcome to the board.

Looking for "what we want to do when (if) we grow up" is a good thing. It keeps the mind open to new ideas and keeps the brain cells active.

DW and I are both 54. We will both ER next year and have our countdown clocks running on our PCs. She has 10 months while mine is a lot less. We have a number of lists of things we want to do after we retire and the lists grow each day. We have already started mapping out trips and travel. We have a list for RV traveling, cruises, international travel, family and friends visits, adventure travels, and even local activities we have not had the time to enjoy. We have other lists for volunteer activities we want to do both locally and in other places. We have places to go...things to do and people to meet.

We are already booked and have not even retired yet. :D

Start out by discussing what you both would like to do. Be honest and open to new ideas. You might find out you and DH have some specific but not openly discussed ideas on what would be of interest to do or see. Make lists and add to them. Don't delete anything....just prioritize them. See where it leads. Look into whole new areas. Read about volunteer work available in your area. Took at travel ideas. How about the Peace Corps. or other similar organizations? Arts, crafts, travel, or just chilling out are all options.

Good luck and welcome.

DH and I are still searching for our purposes

I found that I have no purpose and don't need one. That was a relief!

LoveNumbers said:
4.  enjoy my work in general but have trouble getting out of bed in any given winter morning.

Me too!

LoveNumbers said:
4. enjoy my work in general but have trouble getting out of bed in any given winter morning.
5. not sure if I want to or if I can afford to ER.
6. trying to learn more about investment.

Jenni,

With the traffic here in the DC metro area, I can totally understand the not wanting to get out of bed in the morning and brave the horendous [sp] traffic. I'd want to retire as soon as humanly possible.

- Alec

You Don't have to have a point to have...

TromboneAl said:
I found that I have no purpose and don't need one. That was a relief!

Here! Here! Thought Process to Live By...

It's working for me.
guitar.gif

Hi Jenni...welcome to the forum. Good to have another DC metro an board!

Welcome to the board. I feel ya when you say it is hard to get out of bed to go to work on a winter's day. I FIRED this past May and am so looking forward to not geting OOB (out of bed) when it snows. :D :D Don't have to risk gettng stuck at the job during a storm because the next shift could not get in. :D :D :D :D It will be me and DH looking out the bedroom window from under the blankets LOOKING at the snow and not having to dig the car out. It is worth FIREing just for that.

Thanks for the kind words. You really know how to make a new comer feel welcomed.

We are actually the blessed ones when it comes to daily commute. We live and work in the same city. I ride with DH to his office and bike another 4 miles to mine. Lots of birds and possums keep me company along the way. But, winter is coming and the fun will soon end.

Sam: I study numbers all day but throw in a "$" in the equation and I am lost. Now why is that?

Mickeyd: We treat treasury/savingsbond as cash.

Matha: that's a good one!

Jenni

LoveNumbers said:
I ride with DH to his office and bike another 4 miles to mine. Lots of birds and possums keep me company along the way. But, winter is coming and the fun will soon end.
Jenni, Welcome to the board.
Winter bicycle commuting can be also fun, you just need to have little more gear.
For inspiration and advice look here: http://www.icebike.org/

For example this is my commuting outfit for 10F - 30F temperatures:
IMG_2421.jpg

sailor said:
Jenni, Welcome to the board.
Winter bicycle commuting can be also fun, you just need to have little more gear.
For inspiration and advice look here: http://www.icebike.org/

For example this is my commuting outfit for 10F - 30F temperatures:
IMG_2421.jpg

What kind of bike is that? I have a pretty sweet Trek hybrid I rode to work a few times..........:)

FinanceDude said:
What kind of bike is that? I have a pretty sweet Trek hybrid I rode to work a few times..........:)
Sorry - no fancy bike here, LBYM remember? :D
It's a cheapest hybrid I was able to find in '99 - Specialized Crossroads.
But look into the cycling thread - there are posters here with bicycles more expensive than my airplane ;)

sailor said:
Sorry - no fancy bike here, LBYM remember?   :D
It's a cheapest hybrid I was able to find in '99 - Specialized Crossroads.
But look into the cycling thread - there are posters here with bicycles more expensive than my airplane ;)

So you have a cheap bike, and an AIRPLANE? How is that living below your means?? I mean, I got my Trek in 1998 for $700, was listed at $1300, and I made them throw in a bunch of "freebies" because it was 10 below outside........... :D :D

astromeria said:
Who was that masked man? ;)
"I don't rightly know his real name, but I've heard him called... the Lone Ranger."

FinanceDude said:
So you have a cheap bike, and an AIRPLANE? How is that living below your means??
Well, I could have had two airplanes ;)
On a more serious note, LBYM, because I can afford it :D
I paid cash and Quicken shows that I spend abost the same amount of money flying as Mrs. Sailor on her personal grooming habits (less than $3k per year, even including opportunity cost @7% of the money tied in the plane) ;)

I mean, I got my Trek in 1998 for $700, was listed at $1300, and I made them throw in a bunch of "freebies" because it was 10 below outside........... :D :D
I paid $299 for the bicycle in '99, and so far spent additional $600 during about 8000 miles of happy commuting.

Sailor, I think I have all the gears. Maybe I'll give it a try this winter before the real snow comes. Thanks for the idea.

In the city where we live, I ride on the sidewalk. Winter ice on the sidewalk is a big concern. Our city is very slow in cleaning it up. Sometimes a few inches of snow can stay there for weeks and turns into ice of 2~4' thick. I've seen pedestrians fall butt first right into one of big foot prints left by others when it was still semi-soft. Don't think I'll be able to bike on it.

I have a relatively nice hybrid by REI. A friend who was leaving the country gave it to me for free. I grow up riding dumpster brand so this is considered quite an upgrade. DH greases and tunes it up for me regularly.

Jenni

Guitar de'art

frayne said:
Jonny, is that a 57 re-issue Les Paul cork screw ?

Bullseye! After the tragic denecking in the heat of battle, I had to find a useful purpose for the remainder of this near-classic axe. Ideas on what do do with the headstock and shattered neck piece? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom