Join Early Retirement Today

Hello! My name is John
Old 09-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello! My name is John

Hi my name is John just joined the forum, I am 26 year old and wanted to get some feedback and seeing if I a going in the right direction. I work as an government contractor oversea.
Here is some info:

Annual Salary: $180,000+ (will not have this income for long, hopefully I can do this for 2-3 more years)
401k - will be max by the end of the year.
Roth IRa - currently $3,700 will max out at the end of the year.
Liquid Cash - $18,000
Emergency Fund - 40k
Saving account - 4k (will be used for either another rental home or maybe school)
Rental home account for (maintenance/repairs) - $2,600
No CC bills paid in full every month
Lending Club - $5,800
1st Mortgage Loan - $100,693 @ $479.58 monthly 3.5% rate
2nd Mortgage Loan (Rental Home Investment Property) - $60,921 @ $579.44 monthly 4.5% rate
401k - $41,000
Roth IRA - $40,000 (Vanguard Total Bond Market VBTLX @ $10,000) (Vanguard Total stock Market Index VTSAX @ $30,000)

Taxable Investing
Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund $3,000
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund $15,000
Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund $5,100
Scottstrade - $41,000 (AMD - $17,000, BAC - $11,000, CLNE - $6,919,
GA - $6,000)

I think I went over board with buying individual stock and dont plan on buying anymore anytime soon. I am paying extra $1,000 payment to my rental home principal. I think I can make more from investing in index fund than adding more into my rental home. Any suggestion?
I will also start to invest more into my taxable index fund, instead of individual stocks. I will probably try to invest $4,000+ a month toward either the Vanguard total intl stock or the total stock market index. Also I was thinking about buying vanguard dividend investment fund so I can earn more passive income. I do get some dividend from the total stock market index fund and international fund, but I was wondering if I should buy the vanguard dividend fund or just add more money to the total stock index funds? Which option will be better? Any input will be helpful.

Thanks
jpham540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome John! Sounds like you are on the right track!
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote