Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2008, 04:04 AM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for everyones help so far.

Breaking things down last night, I know I can live for sure on $80,000 per year after taxes, but $85,000 to $90,000 would be a little nicer. 100K was a little overboard. Does anyone want to offer an opinion on this, in lieu of my 100K per year option?

Regarding health insurance, what does a typical family of 4 pay per year? Avg. We are all healthy.
TOPDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

If a $250K home produces $22K in income (seems a bit high) why don't you buy 3 more homes at a cost of $750k to produce $80k+ in annual income? That'll leave you with $2mil in investments you won't really need to use at least right away.

This investment idea will cost you in time but you didn't seem to mind working a little.

In reality houses should be cheap but it might still be hard to find the returns you're getting on that first home.
benmichaelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

The 250K is a business lease, not a home.
TOPDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:17 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPDAWG View Post
Regarding health insurance, what does a typical family of 4 pay per year? Avg. We are all healthy.
You can get an idea of premium costs and deductible options at Health Insurance, Medical Insurance, Individual Health Insurance Quotes. There may be other comparison sites, as well.

Note that only some policies offer the HSA option.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You might consider getting an opinion from an independent health insurance broker who is willing to prescreen your family with a few companies. Considering yourself "healthy" is an advantage of course, but insurance companies may have a different idea of what constitutes a "healthy" person. You would be surprised at what conditions can/will be excluded from a policy.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:46 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

RE: Healthcare, I am 46 with a family of 3 kids. Since I have the cash to cover the expense I went with a $2000 deductible per person and a $7000 overall cap. By doing this my monthly payment is only about $350/mo. Basically, I pay for everything out of pocket but I am covered in the event of a catastrophic medical expense. It takes some getting used to but I love it! and I spend a lot less on health care than I ever did while I was working.

Regards, Kevin
kevin92610 is offline   Reply With Quote