Join Early Retirement Today

Hello to everybody
Old 09-01-2002, 06:07 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello to everybody

In October 2002 I will quit my job and retire early. During the last decades I have saved some money and will move for some months or years to Ecuador to the Andes.

I will spend my time with volunteering, hiking, biking, travelling, and improve my knowledge of spanish. I would be glad to meet or exchange mails with people who already live in this area or plan to travel there.

During the last 5 years I visited Ecuador 3 times for extended holidays.

Andina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hello to everybody
Old 09-01-2002, 04:06 PM   #2

Hi, Andina. Welcome to the board!

I subscribe to International Living magazine (http://www.internationalliving.com) and I've noticed recently they've been giving some very favorable reviews of Ecuador as a place to live (and possibly invest in property). Other countries they favor at the moment in that part of the world include Panama, Nicaragua, and Chile.

What specifically did you like about Ecuador that made you decide you want to live there?
andrew61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 07:22 AM   #3

Hi Andrew

There are some very enthusiastic reports from International Living, especially regarding places at the coast, but also in the Andes, like Cuenca.

I made my decision for Ecuador, because the climate is milder than in Chile (in the Andes 2000 m above sea level around 22°C during day and 10°C during night). The political situation is more stable than in Central American countries, and statistics show its the most "secure" country in Latin America. Above all, I love the landscape of the Andes, the nice people and the low cost of living.

Old 09-02-2002, 04:17 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi Andina,

Like Andrew, I read the IL newsletters. I am always wondering how high the BS level is there. Like the old saw about advertising, I fear that half of it is rubbish, but I don't know which half.

Some extended holidays in Ecuador should be a great help in deciding that is has potential to be a new home. Our experience living in Europe for two years is that it is rather an emotional roller coaster the first year or so living in another country. First you are all excited about the new place, then you are wondering how you could have been so stupid as to believe you would ever want to live in such a place. Finally you come to terms with differences. Just remember that if everything worked just like home, there wouldn't have been any point in going there.

Just out of couriousity, are you choosing Ecuador because you need a low cost of living to pull this off or did you fall in love with Ecuador and the low cost of living is a bonus?

Regards,

Baanista - Who after a long, hot Texas summer really appreciates the idea of perpetual spring in the high altitude tropics.
baanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 06:11 PM   #5

Baanista,

FWIW, I too have wondered how much of the info in IL is accurate and how much is BS. This was especially true when I first got on their e-mail list and they started filling my mailbox with several ads per day. In fact, I at times wondered if it possibly wasn't some big scam.

However, I now tend to believe they're on the level. For one thing, the publication has been around for more than 20 years. I did a Google search to see if I could find any negative comments about them anywhere, and I could not.

For another, my No. 1 Early Retirement guru -- Paul Terhorst -- is one of their writers and has contributed numerous articles.

Finally, by coincidence last week I happened to find out that the brother of a friend of mine has also become one of their contributors. This is someone who recently quit his job and traveled all over South America for six months or so, and finally settled in Panama for a while. According to my friend, the brother says that Panama, Bolivia, Ecuador, and Chile are among the better places to travel or live in South America. On his list of places to avoid right now are Colombia, Brazil, and Argentina.

Andina,

That climate you described sounds perfect to me -- mild days, cool nights, low humidity. I've lived in the Midwest all my life, with the bitter cold, snowy winters, chilly, rainy springs, and hot, humid summers. Now that I'm retired, though, Midwest weather all of a sudden seems unacceptable to me -- at least for nine months out of the year. <grin>
Old 09-03-2002, 08:42 AM   #6

Hi again

I have read IL articles only after my visits to Ecuador, and even though they did not give me breaking news, they reassured me about most of my experiences. Of course they are *very* enthusiastic, but probably not more as we would be if we wanted to sell something. And after all, I never discovered any information to be untrue. As for the prices of property, I searched more in the rural area and therefore found less expensive offers. Also the trips they propose are not cheap, but for foreigners who dont know the places and language they might be convenient to discover almost everything within a few days.

About 10 years ago I made my plans to retire early, and my key points were moderate climate, low cost of living, language (English, French or Spanish), mountains. And when I visited Ecuador first time, I fell in love almost immediately, despite of the negative aspects that are there too. No country can be perfect, but this one meets most of my wishes.

Next weekend I'll scan this Forum to see if you have made some proposals about places you have visited. In the meantime I am busy with all the bureaucracy involved leaving my job and my home.

Old 09-03-2002, 07:02 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Andrew,

Glad to here some positive feedback about the IL folks. Though I think I will stay suspicious of their real estate ventures. But then one should be suspicious of all real estate promoters.

Whatever their motives IL does produce some good slacker day dreaming material.

Regards,

Baanista
baanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 03:08 PM   #8

I agree with you on the real estate ventures. IMHO, IL tends to be a bit too bullish about their investment recommendations, while downplaying the risks.

They base those recommendations on where they see property most likely to increase in value over the next several years. Well, sometimes they're going to be right, and other times they're going to be wrong. Caveat emptor.

I read their articles more to get a glimpse of cost of living and quality of life issues in various countries. Personally, I don't think I'd be much interested in buying foreign real estate -- I'd rather rent to remain flexible, just as I do in the U.S.