Join Early Retirement Today

Hey all, I'm Uncle Drew
Old 09-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey all, I'm Uncle Drew

Hey All,

I'm Uncle Drew and I recently stumbled across these forums when they were linked from another personal finance site. Looks like there are some good discussions going on and some very competent posters.

A little about myself...I am 34 years old and married with no kids (at the moment) living in Northern CA. Both my wife and I work and have the goal of no longer needing to work at age 45. I am a technology manager by day and a financial counselor in my spare time. I find great pleasure in counseling, so I envision continuing that throughout my life.

I fall into the payoff the mortgage early camp especially where I foresee the markets heading in the next few years. We have about 45 months left to payoff the mortgage on the easy schedule, and we could pay it off in as little as 28 months if we hunkered down and got it done. In addition to paying off the mortgage, Retirement savings, etc. are well underway.

What I hope to gain from these forums is to learn about others' perspectives regarding what financial decision should be made in certain situations, to learn the good, the bad, the "i didn't think about that" from those that have retired early, and to meet similiarly minded people that I can bounce ideas off of.

Cheers,

UD

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Drew View Post
A little about myself...I am 34 years old and married with no kids (at the moment) living in Northern CA. Both my wife and I work and have the goal of no longer needing to work at age 45.
I am also 34, also married with no kids and also looking to achieve financial independence by the time I am 45!
Welcome and feel free to share your experiences with all of us!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome.

Just to let you know (in the spirit of telling the new neighbor about the speed traps in town)--if your "financial counselor" persona verges into salesmanship here, expect the trail to get rough in a hurry. But, I'm sure you know that already.

I know we'll learn from you, too. Welcome again.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
if your "financial counselor" persona verges into salesmanship here, expect the trail to get rough in a hurry. But, I'm sure you know that already.

I know we'll learn from you, too. Welcome again.
he can always PM me for a map to the minefield.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #5

Welcome, Drew! I am sure that you will find some good information here on your financial situation and we are certainly similarly minded individuals.
I think it is not a stretch to say that this crowd LOVES giving advice!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #6
gone traveling

Welcome to the FIRE forum, where Advice is free, Opinions are abundant, and Financial Advisors are welcomed with open hearts, minds, and checkbooks, ...
All the Best,
BWW
Old 10-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thought I would provide an update (three years after initiation).

As of August 2010, my wife and I were blessed with a healthy baby boy. He is now almost 14 months old is truly a blessing to us. It has been so fascinating to watch him grow and learn new things.

As of February 2011, we paid off the mortgage of our primary residence. It took us 29 months from my original post to pay it off. We hunkered "mostly" down and got it paid off. We did go on a couple of vacations and we always celeebrate our anniversary in a big way.

We still have an outstanding mortgage on a rental property that could be paid off by the end of next year...if that is the direction we want to go. We still haven't decided if being landlords is where we want to be going forward.

The goal of no longer needing to work at 45 years old has slid out to 50 now. The baby boy was a direct impact on this slide, but I wouldn't change it for anything.

Cheers,

UD
Old 10-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats on all the positive changes in your lives.

Don't sweat waiting until 50, by the time you get there, 50 will be the new 40 anyway.