Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
Originally Posted by Damienqwerty View Post
I'm a young student who is ready to start taking some financial actions in my retirement. I know being the age of 22 and in school might sound a little weird being ready to start saving for retirement but I have watch and heard so many people struggle in finances wishing they would have started earlier.
You are far and away way ahead of the curve even thinking about retirement at age 22. Of course being FIRED simply means you have the option of working, or not, or spending your time doing what you want to do, on your timetable, not someone else's.

In many cases that can mean earning a steady paycheck. Lots of people enjoy their jobs.

But the important thing is that you have a choice.

I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
I would give you the advice I'd have given myself at 22, but I won't be there for a couple more years, so I guess mine would be: Good luck!

Welcome to the forum

Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
If you want to get into real estate, look at purchasing a 2 unit property and living on one side. Try to find a place where the tenant covers most or all of your PITI. Rinse and repeat every 2 to 3 years and you'll have a nice group of properties with positive cash flow.

Welcome to the forum!
Papa bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Seek a profession where you can be self-employed or have a substantial stake in the company. Avoid working for Megacorp as a mid-level salaryman or plan to be there till your sixties.
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by AnIntentionalRoad View Post
Seek a profession where you can be self-employed or have a substantial stake in the company. Avoid working for Megacorp as a mid-level salaryman or plan to be there till your sixties.
Amen to that... Worked 25 years in a MegaCorp. Great pay but very stressful. I have mix feelings about it since the high pay was one of the factors that allowed me to retire at 49. I blame myself for loosing sight of what I really wanted to do with my work life. Just because they pay you a lot of money and promote you does not equal happiness and job satisfaction. I just fell asleep at the wheel and woke up years later in a job that I hated and really had no other options to move to a different job in the company. I was an engineer that choses to go into project management. Lost my technical skills over the years. I do like to work. Been making money since age 12 (paper rout). If I do go back to work I will never stay at a job that I did not wake up each morning looking forward to the day.

I would tell my 22 "self" to find your passion. Keep clear eye on your career. Do not be lured to jobs/careers just for the money. If you are good at what you do and you love it, the money will come... Better to be happy then rich...

bradaz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote