Join Early Retirement Today

Hey, slackers!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hey, slackers!

Just kidding, but the FAQs said to make a subject line that was interesting.

We're going to do early retirement in Sept '09, we'll be 54 years old. This was a little earlier than we anticipated due to health reasons, but I think it's going to work out OK. We presently live in MO, but I need to get out because of sinus problems.

I'm sure I'll find out a ton of information on this forum, but one of the first things I want to start researching is a place to live. Here's my "best-case" scenario:

Low humidity (a must)
Reasonably mild winter (minimal snow and ice)
Affordable housing
Low crime

We're looking at Albuquerque, mostly because it's a place we've visited and know a little bit about. But we're not restricted to that by any means. Climate will be a big factor, since I'm getting out of MO due to my allergies and the humidity. Neither one of us are particularly enamored of big cities, but we don't want to live in a burg, either. The city we live in now is about 200,000.

Any suggestions?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was considering Boise a while back - but wasn't offered the job so didn't have to decide - seems to meet your requirements, except for maybe the sinus problem thing - don't know about that.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
Climate will be a big factor, since I'm getting out of MO due to my allergies and the humidity.
I don't have allergies, so this may seem naive - - but what if you end up being exposed to the same allergens in the new location? I am thinking maybe it would be good to find out exactly what is bothering you. If it's, say, ragweed, then make sure that ragweed isn't a big problem at the new location.

As for locations that meet your criteria, how about Las Cruces, New Mexico? I really don't know much about it but it might be worth looking into. Or there's Amarillo, Texas, though it does snow there.

I think that the low humidity requirement may lead you to focus on the southwestern U.S. Perhaps Arizona, New Mexico, and west Texas might be worth exploring.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just kidding, but the FAQs said to make a subject line that was interesting.
Saw your "Hey Slackers" title and couldn't open your thread fast enough.

I don't recommend my methods but for sinus problems I just buy a lot of Kleenex; and clear them out in Thai restaurants.

Good first post, welcome.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Hey, slackers!
Hey, wait just a dadburn minute.....I resemble that remark!

Welcome aboard!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Sierra Vista, Az - quietly check it out but don't tell anybody.

heh heh heh - my lips are sealed - you never heard it from me. And don't say Peggy sent you.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Howdy and welcome. I'm stuck in Houston for a few more years so I have no suggestions about change of location.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

what a great teaser line for your post. welcome!!!

I'm a slacker and proud of it.

my only experience with the southwest US was living in Scottsdale many moons ago from May to July, doing some post college job hunting in a roaring recession. "Dry heat" my ***. i felt cooked and very much restricted living in or darting between building to stay in AC all the time in 115 degree daytime heat. but to each their own...

there is one state you can cross off your list based on the minimum snow/ice criteria...i will refer you to my location under my avatar.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome , I also have allergy problems so make sure as Want to Retire said you are not trading one allergy for another . My allergies and asthma are much better in a warmer climate.Humidity does not affect them but the mold spores from fallen leaves in the fall up north drives me crazy .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote