Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
hey, we are taking the plunge in the midwest
Old 12-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 67
hey, we are taking the plunge in the midwest

So not sure what to say other than we are counting down this year, because it marks the last year of our employment!!!

I've been out of work for awhile, but my wife officially retires 12/31/2015. We feel overwhelmed and ill-prepared, but now we will have time to figure it out.

Yeah, I know, we did it backwards. But we have a bit of a pension and enough assets to lead a frugal life. That I am not concerned about. What I am concerned about is how to maximize that life now!
__________________

__________________
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2015, 09:52 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 616
Welcome! I look forward to hearing about this next stage .
__________________

__________________
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:49 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Maple Valley
Posts: 465
Welcome, good luck figuring it all out!
__________________
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:45 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Florence, AL/Helen, GA
Posts: 2,092
Congratulations on your wife's spending retirement. It's nice doing what you want when you want to do it. And it's nice to sleep late.

I do try to get my wife up to watch Let's Make a Deal and the Price is Right--positive ways to start your day.

But I warn you that your retirement may turn into work time. Wives are very good at providing us retirees with a long list of honey-do's. I've been retired 7 years and have barely scratched the surface of what my wife has in store for me.
__________________
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:56 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 402
Good luck Sunny. I'm in the same boat as you for end of next year.


__________________
cyber888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe
jimandthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Beautiful UP
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
So not sure what to say other than we are counting down this year, because it marks the last year of our employment!!!

I've been out of work for awhile, but my wife officially retires 12/31/2015. We feel overwhelmed and ill-prepared, but now we will have time to figure it out.

Yeah, I know, we did it backwards. But we have a bit of a pension and enough assets to lead a frugal life. That I am not concerned about. What I am concerned about is how to maximize that life now!

Does Sunny stand for you disposition? It seems as though it must.

Your very last sentence is what struck me, and our goal is the maximize our time together.

I will still be working part-time however having an older house plus a great employee discount (hardware store), makes it worthwhile for those few hours a week.

__________________
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:27 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandthom View Post
Does Sunny stand for you disposition? It seems as though it must.

Your very last sentence is what struck me, and our goal is the maximize our time together.

I will still be working part-time however having an older house plus a great employee discount (hardware store), makes it worthwhile for those few hours a week.

Yes, pretty much. My wife has always maintained I am the most positive person she has ever met. I wasn't always so and had a fairly rough upbringing. I was never downtrodden, but in my 20's I just finally decided attitude/outlook was one of the very few things in life you have some measure of control over.

Thanks all for the warm welcome. I plan on hanging around here when I get the chance, this really seems like a great forum.
__________________
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:25 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 402
With this abrupt retirement, I hope your nest egg can last you more than 20 years.


__________________
No to consumerism, Living a simple life, enjoying the experience - not the material stuff
cyber888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 09:02 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
With this abrupt retirement, I hope your nest egg can last you more than 20 years.


Thanks for the concern. Hopefully it will last longer than that (if needed) though! Although this is somewhat sudden it wouldn't be happening if we didn't think it'd be fine. With current, well tracked expenses over years, adding $ for travel, adding $$ for insurance, adjusting for 15% year over year increase in insurance...we should be fine as indicated by various calculations, firecalc, and a financial planner (that last one I know is dubious, we really need to stop those fees).

With current annual spending of less than $40k a year (not all of that is spending, some of it is 'saving' for repairs and such), pension for both lives starting at $24k a year immediately, no cola but a second pension of $22k a year for both lives starting in 9 years, no mortgage, and $1.5million nest egg it *should* be fine unless we start wanting to eat at 5 star restaurants and increase our spending dramatically. Nothing in life is guaranteed, but it looks good to me.
__________________
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:00 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,259
It sounds great to me. Congratulations!


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:03 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 57
Congrats, Sunny!
__________________
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:17 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,715
Sunny you sound financially fine, just be sure to act on getting rid of that FA unless you truly feel the need to pay out tens of thousands of dollars over the next few years.

Welcome.
__________________
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:36 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 402
congrats. good job Sunny. That's more than enough. Just enjoy life now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Thanks for the concern. Hopefully it will last longer than that (if needed) though! Although this is somewhat sudden it wouldn't be happening if we didn't think it'd be fine. With current, well tracked expenses over years, adding $ for travel, adding $$ for insurance, adjusting for 15% year over year increase in insurance...we should be fine as indicated by various calculations, firecalc, and a financial planner (that last one I know is dubious, we really need to stop those fees).

With current annual spending of less than $40k a year (not all of that is spending, some of it is 'saving' for repairs and such), pension for both lives starting at $24k a year immediately, no cola but a second pension of $22k a year for both lives starting in 9 years, no mortgage, and $1.5million nest egg it *should* be fine unless we start wanting to eat at 5 star restaurants and increase our spending dramatically. Nothing in life is guaranteed, but it looks good to me.


__________________

__________________
No to consumerism, Living a simple life, enjoying the experience - not the material stuff
cyber888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8/28 - Taking the Plunge to ER shotgunner Life after FIRE 12 08-03-2015 07:47 AM
Taking the plunge to FIRE Packman FIRE and Money 17 03-25-2011 06:51 PM
Birdie Num Nums Taking the Plunge Birdie Num Nums Hi, I am... 28 05-29-2010 09:38 PM
Questions on "taking the (houseboat) plunge Caroline Life after FIRE 8 07-12-2005 08:40 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.