Hi; 48 years old German/American ready to ER in 5 years

fassmac

Dryer sheet aficionado
After reading many of the fantastic posts with all your great advice I finally decided to sign up as well.

I am a born German now naturalized, 48 years old living in the US, NC since 2002. One exDW in Germany and one here. 18 year old daughter about to go to college in Germany, 12 year old son living most of the time with me.

Had a good career in pharma / engineering megacorp, have lived frugal and well below my means which will allow me to ER in about 5 years. I have never enjoyed the routine of work and have always planned to retire as soon as possible. After reading many of the financial posts on this forum I am pretty confident to be on the right track to pull this off in 5 years, yeah!

My savings is pretty much 50% 401k, 50% post-tax invested in 70% stock, 30% bonds (all major cheap index funds). I am also lucky to have started gambling with cryptocurrency four years ago.

ER plan is to first do nothing for a few months, then build stealth camper van while watching my son finish HS. Once he is in college I plan to go on several months long trips out west. I have always loved it out there and may eventually sell house in NC (way too humid in Summer) and move to the Denver or Salt Lake City area. To counter-balance the vast nature I am also planning to travel frequently back to Europe, also to visit my brothers and parents (early 80s) who all live in Germany. I would really like to explore in detail the major cities in Europe, not just for a couple of days.

That's about it.

P.S.: My dad ERed from megacorp at 56. I will beat him!

Wilkommen!
You have used FIRECalc and other calculators as a confidence building exercise, I guess?

Feel free to ask any questions here -- it's a friendly group.

Vielen Dank!

I have been reading posts on this forum for a couple of years now. I have used FIRECalc. I am a little risk averse assuming a SWR of 3.5%. No immediate questions right now.

Thank you.

Guten tag

Delighted to have you on board. It sounds like you've got things under control, with a firm hand and a light touch...

...except I'm a little confused by the twin statements of "I am a little risk averse" and "started gambling with cryptocurrency". Those seem like incompatible concepts.

I've watched my share of gamblers. Clearly, they do it because they LOVE risk. Perhaps you're not as risk averse as your anticipated WR suggests?

...except I'm a little confused by the twin statements of "I am a little risk averse" and "started gambling with cryptocurrency". Those seem like incompatible concepts.

I've watched my share of gamblers. Clearly, they do it because they LOVE risk. Perhaps you're not as risk averse as your anticipated WR suggests?

You are right, this doesn't sound consistent. My cryptocurrency endeavor started with a few dollars I was willing to bet for a concept I was intrigued in. Now this "investment" has grown into a significant amount with daily swings way out of my comfort zone. However, I did cash in some of the investment with an incredible profit, so if all is lost I still walk away happy.

Welcome! Glad you were able to work your plan and have your goals set!

Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you have a good plan for ER and savings to make it happen.

Back
Top Bottom