Join Early Retirement Today

Hi - 52 and have had Enough! Do I have enough?
Old 02-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hi - 52 and have had Enough! Do I have enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enough View Post
Yes I am a 5 minutes from our local university which has the medical school that I am able to teach at. This is a huge bonus of course as it will keep me engaged and give me a little extra money. I love the university atmosphere and very much enjoy interacting with the students.
A new part time teaching gig sounds like just what you would enjoy and there should be plenty of opportunities at U of T. No on call required!

I am also a retired MD and I still do some educational work as a volunteer with a national group. But I have noticed that even this causes me some stress, so once the current project is complete I am going to start charging for my time. If they can't afford to pay me, they can find someone else to do it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by enough View Post
....... I love the patient care but the administration and logistics side has become too much. ......
I've heard this many, many times before. How terribly sad that this feeling has become so widespread among modern HC providers.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

With what you have, it is not a financial decision but rather an emotional decision. You have sufficient assets to provide for your lifestyle based on your replies. In addition your husband is still going to work and have income for some more years.

My feeling is the change will be good for you and you can do the teaching to stay involved with medicine, but at a different perspective. The money will be nice, but you don't *need* the money, so it gets back to my original comment: This is an emotional decision for you and not a financial decision.

How about teach for the near future until your husband retires and then you can both stop and be full time retirees?

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi I'm a 52 year old "MD" (MB chB UK). I last worked 29/11/13 and officially medically retired 31/12/13. I'm happy doing very little but am still recovering from surgery. I am anxious at how quickly I feel I am losing my identity but I should come to terms with that. In the UK it feels like continuous change always replaced too quickly with more change before previous changes have been given a chance. It feels to me that we have been set up to fail (not in every area but some parts of the country will struggle).
A lot of the GP's I have spoken too said take the money and run, others were shocked at me doing this as physically I look so much better than I feel.
If you can afford to stop and your spouse is supportive then you should do it.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #25
Confused about dryer sheets

Yes Chevy I think it is more of an emotional decision. Letting go of what I have been doing for years - the patient interactions, the excitement (sometimes too much!), but also the security of the big paycheck. The latter not because it is really needed anymore but just because it doesn't seem right to give it up while I can still do all the things that it takes to earn it. But in the end, what good will it do me or my family ultimately.

Some days I leave singing The Animals 'We Gotta Get Out of this Place' and other times I am thinking of Mark 8:36. I think that teaching will be just the tonic. I don't really think that I will have any trouble with my 'identity' - I will still be contributing and using my knowledge.

Thanks to all.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I ER'd from an engineering j*b 3 years ago. I had absolutely no problems leaving work and enjoying ER. However, I did get into a little light teaching and it has kept me in touch with science and engineering in a fun and non-stressful way.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:57 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Am I imagining it, or has the number of physicians on the forum increased rapidly of late? Seems like there are almost as many of us now as the engineers. And if so, that's a good thing!
Old 02-04-2014, 05:54 PM   #28
Confused about dryer sheets

Perhaps it's the beginning of the wave of MDs who aren't going to work until they drop. Hard to know. Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

35 days ago I retired from a high-stress/high pay job. The most difficult part was struggling with the guilt of leaving my employees and unfinished projects behind. But guess what? A younger manager was moved up and has happily taken on the challenge. Meanwhile, I am free of night, weekend and vacation phone calls and have already enrolled in some interesting classes. I spend priceless time with my elderly mother. I am busy doing fun or useful things all day. Life is short. As someone on this forum once said, "you only have so many good summers left". It sounds like you have earned those summers.