Join Early Retirement Today
hi all- how am I doing?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
hi all- how am I doing?

I just found this forum searching around the net for retirement info. I am married, 43, no kids. I am trying to figure out if I am on track to retire in 7 years at age 50. I am a daily market/portfolio watcher but I do not react violently to market ups and downs. I am about 55/45 stock bond allocation at present. Here are the numbers:

Self employed. I own my office building (worth 125K) outright. I own my condominium outright (450K), no significant debt, 870k in savings (770k savings vanguard, 100k in retirement plans). I am planning on saving 50-60k per year in the next 7 years. I anticipate moving to a more conservative allocation in the next several months. I dont want to experience what many did who were 1 or two years out from retirement with the 2008 market crash. I am fully invested in a vanguard 2030 fund and the rest in short term investment grade vanguard fund.

I am worried about missing any upswing in the market if I move to conservatively. I guess this is a near daily question on the forum. I want to have enough to retire with 70 k annually in retirement income.

floatingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi floatingdoc, and welcome to the forum.

As a rule of thumb, at a 4% withdrawal rate, you will need to accumulate $1.75M to draw $70K annually.

A better alternative would be to spend some time with FIRECalc, a very nice retirement calculator. There's a link at the bottom of each page. It's great at helping you think about what you need to do to reach your retirement goal.

Best of luck with your planning, and again, welcome aboard.

Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
Welcome to the board! I second Coach's advice.

There's nothing wrong with being a daily market/portfolio watcher, but reacting to market ups and downs - whether violently or not, is not good for your portfolio value.

There are some great books to read on the subject of retiring early and investing. Look for a thread by Nords that has a great list of books. This forum has great advice, but your ability to stick to it, imho, depends on how fully you understand and believe in it. Reading will help you get to that point.

If you haven't started already, this is a good time to start tracking all your expenses so you have a good picture of which expenses are important to your happiness, which will rise after you quit working, and which ones will fall. This exercise helped us immensely.

Good luck!
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #4
If we take your office building (125K) and current savings (870k), and assume (say) a 2% annual return after taxes and inflation, you should have investments of about $1.14M (2009 dollars) in seven years' time. And if you contribute ~385K in additional savings over that same period, that should bring you up to about $1.53M.

That is 220K short of the $1.75M Coach suggests as a rule of thumb ... but perhaps you can sell your condo and either rent or downsize to a smaller (cheaper) place. Or perhaps you can manage to stash away more than 50-60K annually?

Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
If you haven't started already, this is a good time to start tracking all your expenses so you have a good picture of which expenses are important to your happiness, which will rise after you quit working, and which ones will fall.
Very good advice. You may find that you actually need significantly less than $70,000 annually, in which case you might be able to retire sooner than you think. Conversely, you may find that $70,000 annually is not going to be enough, in which case you will need to either adjust your lifestyle or postpone retirement for a few years more.

In any event, it is better to arrive at a reasonably reliable annual amount based upon current expenses rather than simply pulling a number out of the air.
"If at any times we must deal in extremes, then we prefer the quiet, good-natured hypocrite to the implacable, turbulent zealot of any kind. In plain terms, we are not so fond of any set of notions, as to think them more important than the peace of society". John Toland, The Description of Epsom (1711)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote