Join Early Retirement Today
Hi and Thanks
Old 06-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Hi and Thanks

I've been lurking for some time now. My husband and I are not in a similar comfortable financial position as most of you who planned to retire early, but I think we will be OK anyway. The last few years have been stressful as my husband has gone from full-time employment as an SAP programmer to part-time working from home due to a disability and as of today no longer working. I have come here often to get ideas and to just calm myself down. Thank you to all who have helped without even knowing it.

I have done some tracking of our expenses. We live in a low cost area (just a few miles south of Uncle Mick ). I work part-time as a travel agent for a few $$, I'll start receiving early social security in September and my husband will receive some small pension payments monthly. We have some cash set aside as well as some small IRAs and most of our assets are in his 401k. Unfortunately, we still have a mortgage for about 8 years. He won't be eligible for social security for another 2 years. We will be investigating some things related to his disability, including a private disability policy, but I think we can still make it if none of those things come about. His healthcare is taken care of and I will have COBRA for 18 months. That will leave me 16 months shy of Medicare, but worse case scenario, our state has a high risk pool.

At one time, I had a Series 6 and a Series 7 license, but was an assistant, never in sales or financial planning. Until the recent recession, I thought I had a fair handle on the accumulation process. Now it is just scary, but one of the things I picked up here is to keep enough in cash to last a while. I find I really don't know very much about the distribution process, but will be careful about taxation issues on both social security and IRAs.

So, hi to all and if you have any tips or suggestions, I'm all ears.

bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Has your Series 6 or 7 expired? Maybe you could work for an FA and get some benies??

Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
Yep, long gone. I'm sure I could get another job or a full-time job, but at this point I don't want to. Rather just live simply and enjoy life with dh.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi bhoferp, and welcome!

I like your attitude --"Rather just live simply and enjoy life with dh."

Have you given any thought to downsizing, or are you already in your retirement house? If you have more house than you need now, that might be one way to kill off the mortgage.

I'll be looking forward to your posts.

"Comprehensive health insurance is an idea whose time has come in America." President Richard M. Nixon, February 6, 1974
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
Downsizing is an option, and we may some time in the future. I'm not sure my dh would be into it. Due to his disability, he is at home virtually all the time so some extra space is really nice to have. Our house is pretty modest as it is and smaller houses seem to cost as much as we paid for our current house. In my "figurin", I had always included the mortgage--was just hoping he'd be able to work until he could start drawing social security. Once the mortgage is finished, we'll be rich. (Yea, right!) Just hope we'll both be around at 68 and 70 and well enough to enjoy it and each other.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's always good to hear someone else's ideas.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If at all possible, try to adjust your spending to the point where you can manage on your part-time earnings, your early SS and your husband's pension. Then when your husband becomes eligible for SS, that new income will be entirely surplus to your requirements and can be applied to top up your mortgage payments.

Originally Posted by bhoferp View Post
My husband and I are not in a similar comfortable financial position as most of you who planned to retire early, but I think we will be OK anyway.
While you face some significant challenges, try to remember that life is not a competition and as long as you have enough for your individual needs, that's all that matters.

"If at any times we must deal in extremes, then we prefer the quiet, good-natured hypocrite to the implacable, turbulent zealot of any kind. In plain terms, we are not so fond of any set of notions, as to think them more important than the peace of society". John Toland, The Description of Epsom (1711)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote