Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, Close to ER - need to estimate medical expenses
Old 12-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi, Close to ER - need to estimate medical expenses

Hello,

I am considering retiring next year and would appreciate any comments on estimating medical expenses. I'm using both Fidelity RIP and Firecalc to get multiple calculations.

My situation:
My age: 57
Spouse's age: 58

Assumptions:
  • Now until age 65:
    • $18,000 all-in medical expenses per year (insurance, deductibles, co-pay, etc).
    • Assume using federal exchange but won't receive subsidy as I'll be selling off highly appreciated stock every year for expenses. HDHP
    • Average health right now but spouse does have history of breast cancer, hopefully cured
  • Age 65 until 85
    • $8,000 all-in medical expenses per year (Medicare + supplemental insurance + deductibles + co-pays)
  • Age 85 until death
    • Increase by $2,000 per year every year above age 65 level.

I welcome any suggestions both on the specific numbers as well as different ways to look at it.

Thanks!
Plutarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2014, 05:17 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

do those budget figures include dental? Are you covering any kids? thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome and congratulations on being on the precipice of ER!!

The $18k a year ER number is a lot higher than what it costs us (unless we maxed out the deductible every year which we don't come close to doing). Since you seem to be pretty through, I assume that the health insurance piece is based on healthsherpa.com or healthcare.gov or a carrier's website? And deductibles and co-pays are based on recent experience, perhaps with some provision for adverse deviation?

FWIW, our health insurance for two is about $6k a year for a bare-bones catastrophic HDHI plan with a $12k+ deductible but it gives us access to BCBS negotiated rates with healthcare providers and financial protection from a serious illness. While our deductibles and copays are negligible so far this year, I budget about $3k a year for those, so ~$9k in total.

I'm familiar with my grandmother, great-aunt and Mom's costs while on Medicare and $8k a year seems about right. Part A is $110/month, Part D ~$40 and ~$200/month for Medigap coverage as I recall so that would be a bit over $8k for a couple. Deductibles and copays would be negligible since Medigap would cover those.

We have found dental insurance not to be worth the cost so we just pay for an annual checkup and two cleanings a year each.

All amounts are current $.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Health care cost was the biggest surprise for me after I retired. Premiums have almost doubled since I retired almost 3 years ago for the same levels of coverage. (Not on Medicare yet) Plus, more doctor visits, higher copays, higher drug cost. It all adds up.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Thank you for your replies.

I do have one child we'll be paying for coverage for the next three years. I used the Kaiser site for the premium estimate and their statement that the premium typically covers 70% of the cost to reach the medical total. Then added a bit for out of pocket vision dental.

I appreciate the reply regarding costs while on Medicare and will update based on that as well as some numbers listed on the AARP site.

Based on your replies I'll spend some more quality time with a spreadsheet. It is difficult to consider drawing down rather than adding to savings so I am purposefully being very conservative in my assumptions.

Thanks again. Hopefully the spreadsheet (and RIP and Firecalc) will all give the same conclusion.
Plutarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutarch View Post
  • Now until age 65:
    • $18,000 all-in medical expenses per year (insurance, deductibles, co-pay, etc).
    • Assume using federal exchange but won't receive subsidy as I'll be selling off highly appreciated stock every year for expenses. HDHP
    • Average health right now but spouse does have history of breast cancer, hopefully cured
  • Age 65 until 85
    • $8,000 all-in medical expenses per year (Medicare + supplemental insurance + deductibles + co-pays)
  • Age 85 until death
    • Increase by $2,000 per year every year above age 65 level.
Hello Plutarch, welcome to the forum. Please feel free to stop by here and tell us a little about yourself. (note to self - read the whole post before replying)

I think the $18K per year during the pre-65 period may be a little light, unless you choose a low cost insurance policy. At age 60, many full network policies are costing $800 per person even with high deductibles.

Missing from your projection are two items many here would consider critical. One is the cost of long term care, the other large non-reimbursable expenses, mainly insurance cost share portion and dental. There is no one way to approach the budget projection here, in my case we have separate funds set aside to cover these expenses.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutarch View Post
... It is difficult to consider drawing down rather than adding to savings ....
This is very common and there are some thread out there on it. Don't worry, you'll get used to it soon enough. Change is hard.

I found it easier to just pre-program mine - I have a monthly transfer from an online savings account that is the most liquid part of my retirement assets to my checking account that is my monthly "paycheck".

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote