Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, excited to be here!
Old 05-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi, excited to be here!

Hi, very excited to be here. Love reading all the great advice and experience keeps the spirit up.

Little about myself, currently 37, plan to FIRE @. 40, prospects looking good, just waiting for DW to complete her higher studies.

There are some risks but more than happy to take them, believe strongly from very early stage not to spend my whole life in an office, that helped me plan plus got lucky with some risks paying off....

Cheers.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Allthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

May I be the first to welcome you aboard!
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:21 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Planning os stopping any kind of work at 40 or just office work?
Old 05-15-2015, 03:23 PM   #4

Planning os stopping any kind of work at 40 or just stopping office work?
Old 05-15-2015, 05:58 PM   #5

Thanks Revlefty.... Jack_Pine, will take a year off and plan to do a small residential building project to keep myself busy for few hours a day, if that returns some profit may do few more over time but with gaps [emoji3]
Old 05-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #6

Sounds like a great retirement. Doing something you enjoy. Best of luck.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:23 PM   #7

Welcome, it's always nice to have more people contributing and sharing ideas and congrats on being in a position to make your dreams become reality.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:49 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allthebest View Post
Hi, very excited to be here. Love reading all the great advice and experience keeps the spirit up.

Little about myself, currently 37, plan to FIRE @. 40, prospects looking good, just waiting for DW to complete her higher studies.

There are some risks but more than happy to take them, believe strongly from very early stage not to spend my whole life in an office, that helped me plan plus got lucky with some risks paying off....

Cheers.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome Allthebest. I think you will find plenty of kindred spirits on this site. Retired at 40 is impressive. My original goal was mid 40s although it looks like it will be next March at 55. No regrets because in the last 15 years, my career has afforded me a lot of international travel which in some cases I was able to have my DW accompany me. In the future we will continue this on our own nickel but own terms as well. At any rate, would love to hear your secret at getting it done at 40.

Hornet
Green Hornet 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #9

Thanks all..... Green Hornet 21, I started quite early with property investments in various countries (as I worked at different ones and working in the financial industry got perks as staff to buy property, 100% funding @ 1% etc) those paid off especially with Asia booming, also similar story with stocks but started that only around age 29, but I would say I got lucky with being at the right place at the right time. Don't really consider myself a great strategic investor. Also what helps is I am not too lavish, currently live in Hong Kong with 2 full time helpers and 2 kids in private school and still able to save around 40% of income, did have 10 good years when we had a double income until 2015 at which point savings rate was much higher. Please don't think I'm bragging just stating my experience here if it helps others, specially younger people. My one advice is work in few countries if possible it will be the best decision you make, purely from a life experience and knowledge perspective, enjoy the long weekend [emoji4]
Old 05-22-2015, 02:36 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome aboard
Old 05-22-2015, 03:22 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome, all y'all.
TimSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Welcome here Allthebest.

50-60 years is a long time to be unemployed, assuming you live to 90-100. Are you sure you can goof off that long? It's worth a try.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #13

Congrats on being in such a sweet position at a young age.

If you haven't read it - this FAQ has some good, thought provoking questions about the financial aspects of early retirement:
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-69999.html

Another question to ponder on is "what are you retiring too". In other words - how will you spend your day if you're not locked into a job. Some people struggle with this. Some worry about loss of status/identity. Others worry about how to fill their time, add value. (I didn't have these issues - it's like I was born to be a bum. LOL). Since you have kids at home - I assume being a doting parent will fill some of the time/purpose.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #14

Thanks, those are some very pertinent questions, I may not be going to an office but I think I will have enough on my plate,

1. Kids and aging parents
2. Need to oversee a retail business
3. Need to oversee some commercial and residential buildings, rental income generators
4. My plan to have a pet building project
5. Need to manage a farm (will love that for sure [emoji3])

I see this as my 3rd life, 1st 20 were in school and college- loved college life. 2nd 20 in the corporate world, enjoyed and travelled to at least 25 countries and soon stage 3

[emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]