Join Early Retirement Today
Hi - focusing on my RE Date
Old 01-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Hi - focusing on my RE Date

Thanks for allowing me to join here.

Our RE date is now at the 30 month and counting point. DW and I live very conservatively and are debt free.

We have been aggressive in our savings and I have contributed the maximum ot 401K and other deferred comp program.

2 years ago we reviewed our plans with a financial planner who did some rough calculations and thought we were on the right track. He suggested some modifications to our asset allocation.

Of course that was just at the time the markets starting tanking. I held on and continued to contribute to my equity portfolio (and DW took lots of Rolaids). We survived and recovered.

In December we met with a different financial planner who did a more indepth analysis and some cash flow models under different scenarios and we are definitely good to go. He also suggested some asset allocation adjustments and a few tweaks. We also are in the process of modifying the legal stuff in view of the new estate tax rules etc.

For the next 6-9 months we are recording all of our expenses to double check the assumptions we used in our cash flow, but we are pretty confident that will work out ok too.

I have enjoyed reading the posts here already and picked up a few points already. Hope I can contribute to the group.

jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Howdy...welcome to the forum!

There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi jwkde, and welcome. It sounds like you've got your retirement plan in place and have invested a lot of thought into your needs. Congratulations on your impending retirement!

"Comprehensive health insurance is an idea whose time has come in America." President Richard M. Nixon, February 6, 1974
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Congratulations & Welcome !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Congratulations on being so close to retirement and to what looks like a well-thought-out plan to get there!

Welcome to the boards and we look forward to your contributions to our random discussions

Enjoy the next 30 months at work.
Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote