Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Hi from a Welshman in Germany!
Old 10-24-2007, 05:33 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi from a Welshman in Germany!

Wonderful, inspiring, informative forum... if only there were something comparable in Europe!

I'll introduce myself anyway... I'm 58 yo and currently employed in a j*b from which I can't wait to 'escape' to the freedom of life in retirement. I know it's all been said before but life really is too short to waste a large proportion of it doing something in which one has absolutely no interest, 'just' for the money - important as this is of course.

I'm seriously considering 'taking the plunge' soon, even though it would mean having to be very careful with my finances... I'd be relying on a reduced pension (from the UK) as well as income from my savings, which is entirely invested in an e-savings account, again in the UK. My lifestyle is not extravagant and I think I can do it but, unfortunately, I'm not sure Firecalc can be of very much assistance to me on this side of the pond. In any case, I can't wait to have much more time to devote to the - second! - love of my life, namely my piano.

Best wishes everyone, from Hamburg
cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:33 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi,
That is the best thing about the internet: you can pick up good stuff all over the world.
I am German. Even though the details of my retirement scenario are different from the US as to pension system, health insurance and social security I use firecalc and find it helpful.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome cruiser! I hope you find useful information here. So what's a Welshman do in Germany?

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cruiser,

Welcome from your friends across the pond. there is plenty of information and support here. We have other participants living across the globe, so not just a north American group. There are also other musicians - maybe we will set up a virtual band someday.

Check out the "Best of" and the FAQs for deep background. Feel free to join in the many lively discussions and post your questions.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:21 AM   #5

Welcome Cruiser! I used to live in Germany some years ago. Great place to be ER'd!

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #6

CYMRU RULES!

I'd say 'welcome to the forum' but as I'm new here myself it seems a little weird to try to play host...

Anyway, I'd like to hear more about your second love - the piano is the center of my post-retirement plan as well. What kind of stuff do you play?