Join Early Retirement Today

Hi from "All Good"
Old 01-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi from "All Good"

Greeting from “All is Good”! I have been reading this forum for “a while” & have learned a lot of valuable information that have helped in many retirement decisions. Thanks!

I am 53 & retired at age 50 after 28 years in megacorp. I had a good career by most measures (pay, benefits, travel, advancement, etc) but I never really enjoyed it. I’ve always wanted to retire early and never got use to the company owning “all of my time”. The constant travel (domestic & international) and endless hours and conference calls,-including weekends-got old and I began the feel the affect. After my 8th move with the family, I knew it would be the last. Although I did what I had to do to do well, I never really got used to the politics and back biting, especially at the higher levels- but I managed to stay long enough to FIRE. I left before my first blood pressure medicine & is in excellent health!

My DW and I are frugal people (she more than I am , but we like good natural food, good wine & traveling with good friends. Over the course of 28 years, we LBYM and I managed to save between 20-35% of gross income yearly. DW was a SAHM and held the fort down for our family (3 kids). Our last child graduates college this year and I feel fortunate to have been able to pay 100% so they will all graduate debt-free! I hope they all find & keep good jobs!

We built our retirement home last year (paid for) and we are debt free. My biggest issue is healthcare where we are paying $1,200 a month premium for a high deductible policy on the ex-company retirement plan. I will look at moving to an ACA plan once I’m comfortable this will “last”.

The last 3 years have been a blast. I haven’t missed one day “at the office”. I own my own time and am free to do whatever I feel.

Thanks for a great forum! All is Good!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome, AllGood. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #3

Welcome, AllGood.

Edited because I'm an idiot and couldn't remember you user name long enough to type it here. Doh!!!
Old 01-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Good for you, AllDone, and welcome to the forums. Writing that last college tuition check is a great feeling.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations, AllGood, seems like you did it right. May you enjoy the more peaceful years ahead !

Rich
Old 01-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #6

You inspired the helloutta me AllGood. Welcome, congrats, and thank you...my FIRE date is my 50th Birthday, thanks for inspiring. At 34 I totally feel like I am doing what I have to do well, sacrificing my time and my sanity temporarily until FIRE.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #7

On a side-note, how did you manage to move every three years? I gather you did this to increase your Gross and for better opportunities.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome and congratulations for a job well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGood View Post
...I never really got used to the politics and back biting...
However, you seem to indicate that back biting is a bad thing. I'm not sure that's necessarily so. I think it all depends on the participants.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:54 PM   #9

Welcome, AllGood! I'm with you, the politics and backbiting took all the pleasure out of my w*rk - really seemed to start ramping up seriously in the late 90's and just kept getting worse and worse. Loved many of the challenges and being around smart people, but when I talk with my friends who are still there, it's only gotten worse.

Look forward to seeing more posts from you!
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #10

Welcome AllGood
Old 01-04-2016, 04:32 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the Forum. You will find many people of same mind set like yourself here.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks!

Wow! Thanks for all the great & positive comments.

I'll try to answer a few of the responses.

1. I moved about every 2-3 years for better opportunities....more pay with bigger roles. (not sure I'd do this again but I was 'driven"..some affect on kids moving so much but we learned that if you got them involved in something they enjoyed and was good at like sports, they got accepted into the right group fairly fast). Looks like they all turned out ok! Also having a SAHM helped tremendously!!!!
2. The back biting grew exponentially as I climbed the ladder... Took way to much time having to always cover my backside ...exhausting!

But once I was close to FIRE, it amazing how free i became and the noise & non-sense didn't matter as much!...."it" just slid off"!
Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #13

AllGood, what a great story. I joined this forum nearly 2 years ago and hardly a day goes by that I don't check in here for a few minutes.

It's always great to read success stories. Hope to here more about your retirement adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGood View Post
2. The back biting grew exponentially as I climbed the ladder... Took way to much time having to always cover my backside ...exhausting!

But once I was close to FIRE, it amazing how free i became and the noise & non-sense didn't matter as much!...."it" just slid off"!
Both of these insights are what I am experiencing while climbing the ladder and breaking through the stages of FI toward RE. Thanks for the reference point and good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum