Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, from an American in Dubai
Old 10-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi, from an American in Dubai

Hi everybody,

Just joined. I have been enjoying all the threads especially the ones on retiring abroad.

About Me:
I am a 26 year old expat living in the hustle and bustle of Dubai.
-Salary, 70k USD, tax free plus bonus+ full international health insurance, plus airline ticket home every year.

-Roth IRA,(vanguard) around 35k so far, maxing out yearly of course

-Offshore Pension Scheme-Royal Skandia- 7kUSD so far invested in high growth mutual funds, Non-USA, this is a monthly deduction scheme 500 USD.
-Monthly expenses, varies 3-5k depending if I decide to travel somewhere.(rent is expensive, but I am not convinced that the housing market in Dubai has such a booming future, holding out on that a bit, possibly good deal for retiree's as you get a residence visa automatically if you buy a property)

-Rest of salary going towards my Global Trading Etrade account/Savings

-Future plans, 2 years more in Dubai and move with Fiance(European) to UK or to France, possibly Singapore or New Zealand. Still debating

That's me. If your curious about Dubai, it's a pretty crazy place, amazing watching a city being built day by day, summer's horrible, but besides that it's sunshine everyday.

Cheers,

Billman

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2007, 12:31 AM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by billman View Post
I am not convinced that the housing market in Dubai has such a booming future, holding out on that a bit, possibly good deal for retiree's as you get a residence visa automatically if you buy a property)

I have been living in Dubai for nearly three years and I definitely agree with you about the Dubai housing market. It all seems to be driven by private investors hoping to flip housing and make huge profits - which many have done during the past five years. However, with literally tens of thousands of housing units coming on the market in the coming year the market could crash. I rent and have no intention of buying real estate here. In fact, I just bought a house in Colorado and plan to ER there in 2009.

Dubai is a fascinating & crazy place. It is fun to see it develop around you - the scale of ongoing projects is mind blowing.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:18 AM   #3

Welcome to the Boards

Living overseas is interesting, I spent 14 years in Asia as a kid. Sounds like you are saving lots, which is good. We look forward to your contributions.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:21 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

The problem for me is not knowing where I want to live in the future. I could definitely afford a property in Florida where I am from, but I am looking to other places. For some reason I am drawn to southern France, Switzerland, New Zealand, and even Lebanon(some real bargins there now). I guess getting on the property ladder is a big step when you are a nomad.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I watched a documentary on the Discovery Channel recently called "Impossible Islands". It was fascinating to see how they built the Palm Islands and the islands of The World.

What a great place to live!
Old 10-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a couple of buddy's living out there. They like it especially the beach actually turned out quite well.

That's nothing, wait till they finish this:

The World

Already on there way with something like this:

The Island of Ireland - Overview - Dubai :: Gowealthy.com