Join Early Retirement Today
Hi from Hiss
Old 07-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Hi from Hiss

Hi everyone. I retired in May of this year at the age of 54 (a month before I turned 55). I was a Chemical Engineer for a pine chemicals company for most of my career and worked mostly in managerial positions. I have not been in a fulfilling position for many years and knew I had to get out. I have actually posted here 10+ years ago and had to look at my old posts to see when I said I would retire. I had planned for age 48 but my cowardice plus the great recession added the last 6 years.
A few months into retirement and I have no apprehensions financially. Perhaps too soon or I am too stupid. I know that many here have retired in a more secure position than I have. I have about 29 times my yearly spending in stocks (65%) and cash earning a few tenths of 1% maybe (35%). Probably too much cash but that is what I am comfortable with now.
I have a defined pension that will contribute about 35% of my today's yearly expenses but it is deferred until age 62 (non-COLA).
I believe SS will be there for me, and if it is diminished I do not see it impacting me substantially.
I have a high deductible health plan as most do here. Nothing contributed by my employer to this.
I plan to spend the first 4 months chilling in my cabin in Maine (I live in Florida). Then I hope to travel a lot. I have been into the credit card points game as well as collecting from business travel over the years and have amassed a couple million points in various loyalty programs. I hope this will support a low cost life of travel (1 or 2 international trips per year and 3 or 4 domestic) over the next 4 or 5 years.
I want to thank everyone from 10 years or so ago who educated me on this forum to know how to do this. I am confident I have made the right choice. Looking forward to our interactions.

Hiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Welcome back Hiss, and glad to hear you enjoy ER. I'm just 2 years here and I've seen a few posts like yours and I'm always impressed that people pop back for updates. Nice.

One thing about those points and miles. Be careful. I lost some of my miles due to a change in program to "expire-able" miles. Jerks. Other people here are showing some disappointment in their points.

See the thread: Frequent Flyer "Award Booking Fee"

In no way am I trying to throw cold water on your plan! As is the case in all things ER, I just mention it so you go in with eyes wide open. You know the drill, having been on this board before.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Glad you could shed your skin and feel like a new Hiss!
"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do" --Bob Dylan.
heeyy_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
Congratulations! I originally thought age 50 but that would have been too young for me. Then I thought 55 and I am now 56. But it's only going to be a couple of years more. I've got a cabin too, but it's at Lake Texoma. I'm going to see how I like being there alone for extended periods and I'm curious as to how well it will work. My late father knew of this plan and didn't think I would last a week!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote