Join Early Retirement Today
Hi from me
Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
Hi from me

I want to introduce myself. I am a 57 year old retired female with a small pension and my husband is still working. We have about $1M in savings and retirement vehicles. We would like to throw caution to the wind and call it day and both of us retire and travel some of the world while we still can. What is your opinion? We don't plan to travel extensively but once in a couple years. The rest of the small travel will be in a small motorhome.

1q2w3e4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Welcome to the forum, 1q!

We would all love to throw caution to the winds but we are a cautious lot, in general.

The answer is "it depends". Specifically, it depends on what your expenses are now and what they are projected to be in retirement; whether DH (dear husband) will have a pension, whether it is COLA'd, and whether you can get health insurance. The conventional wisdom around here is that you should not plan on spending more than 4% of your nest egg annually ($40K) but there are many other variables. If your investments are all risky, 4% might be too brave. The more information you provide, the more people will chime in with an opinion!

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
As a newcomer here the best advice I can give is to calculate what your living expenses will be and run all your numbers through firecalc. I hope the firegods show a successful path. And welcome to the forum.
robbridg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
Welcome to the forum!!

As others will tell you, you will need to determine your expenses to include home, food, etc.... to see if your pension(s) and a withdrawal % will maintain your lifestyle without draining your savings. Most recommend using the Fire Calc on this site to test. Other things to consider are health, healthcare costs, and taxes. Seems like a lot, but it is well worth it.
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
Welcome. I hope the numbers are kind.

Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote

retirement, travel