Hi from New England

Osprey

Recycles dryer sheets
I have lurked on the boards here for a while and find much wisdom dispensed. Hubby and I are federal employees, one csrs and one fers retirement system.Will be eligible to retire in about 2 years.No Questions at present; just wanted to say hello.

Welcome, Osprey. Always happy to see fellow New Englanders.

Have you and DH attended the federal retirement seminar yet? It is well worth it!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Welcome, Osprey. I'm also FERS and retiring in a year. We have a good retirement system but it is more difficult to minimize our taxes.

Have you and DH attended the federal retirement seminar yet? It is well worth it!

Many years ago I attended one of the federal retirement seminars taught by a subject matter expert and it was excellent. More recently I attended one and it was not as good. Sad that FERS employees need training even more than those under the old system but the training has not been enhanced and young employees are not encouraged to attend, at least where I work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, Osprey. I'm also FERS and retiring in a year. We have a good retirement system but it is more difficult to minimize our taxes.

I agree that figuring out how to draw down in a tax efficient manner will be challenging, but I am very grateful to have a pension.

Welcome to the forum. The closer you get to that 2 years away end point the harder it will be to put up with the BS. Nice you both have those federal retirement plans.

Welcome to the forums...

Updating this thread as I draw closer to retiring. Hubby retired earlier this year and I am going to discuss setting my retirement date with my management next week. Likely retiring by the end of this year. We have 2 pensions and a decent size nest egg. Am nervous about taking the plunge now since we still have one child in grad school we are helping with rent. I’ve set aside funds to cover our support through anticipated graduation date in Dec 2019. If graduation is delayed or job not found we likely would continue to help which we can do but would increase our withdrawal rate (still would be under 3%) or decrease spending in other discretionary areas,

The discussions I’ve read on this site have really helped a lot with pondering making my decision to jump and not do OMY. Continuing to work another year won’t change my retirement lifestyle significantly and working another year would give up a year of retirement when I am feeling the best I will healthwise. So I intend to set my date next week. Hubby says the water is fabulous!

Right, with you hubby happily retired the premium time is now.

If you are keeping withdrawals under 3% that’s still very conservative.

The water in New England in the winter will be more comfortable than the chair in the office.

Welcome to the board. DW grew up in New England, and we enjoy visiting at least once a year. Beautiful part of the USA.

Congratulations on making the decision, Osprey! Like you, I found this site invaluable in helping me get over my hesitation to ER, and I'm so glad I did. Hope your discussion with management goes well and you can start your countdown calendar!

My cousin lives in NH. I live in CA. I'm trying to get him to finagle a motorcycle for me to use while out there. My goal is to take a trip along the coast of Maine, then hook up with my brother at his cabin in Whiting ME.

Motorcycles are ~$200/day for rent. That's too expensive for me. I have a Kawasaki Concourse 1400 that I offered in exchange. A ride through Big Sur/CA Redwoods/Highway 1 would be a fair trade I would think.

Sorry, shameless plug. But welcome and I do love New England. God's country.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom