Join Early Retirement Today

Hi from SF!
Old 05-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi from SF!

Hi all,

I’ve been lurking for about a month now, but decided it was time to register. This forum has been so inspiring and there is so much useful advice!

My boyfriend and I are a gay couple in our late 20s living in the San Francisco Bay Area. We currently earn relatively high salaries (approximately $400K/year combined) but our jobs are fairly stressful and we work long hours. We do not plan on having kids, and we hope to transition out of our current careers into less stressful, more sustainable work sometime in the next ten years.

We live below our current means, but we are not ultra-frugal. We have a small house in the suburbs, we drive fairly old cars, and we love good bargains. However, we love to travel and eat out. I would guess we spend roughly $60-70K a year, which includes about $20K a year in mortgage payments.

Currently, we have roughly $300K in retirement accounts and $50K in cash. We also have a $400K mortgage, and I have $30K in student loans. I graduated from professional school last year with $80K in loans but have been putting most of my monthly income into repaying them. We do not have any other debt.

Our goal is to live off my boyfriend’s base salary, and save both his bonus and my salary. We have been maxing out our retirement accounts, but I am planning to open up a taxable joint account at Vanguard for additional investments. In addition, we are hoping to pay off my student loans in the next year (they are at 5%) and also pre-pay a large chunk of the mortgage.

I look forward to learning more from everyone here and hopefully, one day, being able to FIRE!
norcaldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the forum!
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome
Old 05-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome!

It looks like you guys are on the right track.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #5

Welcome! There is lots of good information, advice, and encouragement on the board. We look forward to you adding to it as well
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcaldreamer View Post
Hi all,

Currently, we have roughly $300K in retirement accounts and $50K in cash. We also have a $400K mortgage, and I have $30K in student loans. I graduated from professional school last year with $80K in loans but have been putting most of my monthly income into repaying them. We do not have any other debt.

Our goal is to live off my boyfriend’s base salary, and save both his bonus and my salary. We have been maxing out our retirement accounts, but I am planning to open up a taxable joint account at Vanguard for additional investments. In addition, we are hoping to pay off my student loans in the next year (they are at 5%) and also pre-pay a large chunk of the mortgage.

I look forward to learning more from everyone here and hopefully, one day, being able to FIRE!
Hi, and welcome to the forums! I think you'll find all the advice and information you need here if you want to RE.

It's encouraging to see young people (and to me you are young because I'm old enough to be your mother!) putting some thought into LBYM, paying down debt, and investing.

Good luck!
ladypatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome! Looks like you're easily well on your way; especially given your income to expenses ratio... so, set a target for money and start thinking about what that transition will be to (since you already know what it's away from) and if it's both of you at the same time or if one of you will be transitioning first.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #8

Quote:

I would guess we spend roughly $60-70K a year,
When it comes to ER planning it is better to know than to guess.
I would recommend to track expenses exactly and in writing. It may seem to be a bore at start but it provides a lot of insight. You could create categories and consider if your expenses in each category really are worthwile or try to beat the expenses of the month before while maintaining the level of satisfaction.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks all for your replies! I have been reading lots of books and trying to learn about different types of investment accounts, indexing, taxes, etc. There is a lot of useful information both here and on the Bogleheads website. My boyfriend is actually an investment banker, but he knows virtually nothing about personal finance and the logistics of investing our own money.

Chris 2008 – I am actually a huge fan of tracking our expenses and cutting costs, and I am slowly converting the BF to the idea of FIRE. His approach to saving for retirement used to be “earn more” rather than LBYM, and although he doesn’t spend much money (other than on restaurants and travel), he hates the idea of living on a "budget" or tracking our spending too closely.

After taxes, 401(k), health insurance and other deductions, the BF’s base take home pay is roughly $80K, so our current approach is to use $1,500 of that every month to pay down debt and then spend what's left over. It’s not a perfect solution and I am sure there is still quite a bit of waste we could cut out, but it avoids any tensions that would otherwise arise.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
I am actually a huge fan of tracking our expenses and cutting costs, and I am slowly converting the BF to the idea of FIRE. His approach to saving for retirement used to be “earn more” rather than LBYM, and although he doesn’t spend much money (other than on restaurants and travel), he hates the idea of living on a "budget" or tracking our spending too closely.
Just because you track your expenses doesn't mean that you need to be limited in any way. I have been tracking our expenses for years. I estimate in advance how much we will spend in a given year, but if we go over that amount it is no big deal. We spend money as and when we want to. I just like to know where and how much, so that I can best plan for retirement.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Just because you track your expenses doesn't mean that you need to be limited in any way. I have been tracking our expenses for years. I estimate in advance how much we will spend in a given year, but if we go over that amount it is no big deal. We spend money as and when we want to. I just like to know where and how much, so that I can best plan for retirement.
That sounds like a good approach! May I ask what you all use for tracking your expenses? I just signed up for Mint.com but am not sure how that compares to Quicken or other personal finance software.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #12

We use Quicken... mostly because it's what we've been using for the last 4 years (MS Money before that).

I'm also trying out You Need a Budget but, since I already own Quicken, I'm on the fence (price is nice and it is excellent for budgeting).

I do plan to try Mint.com as I hear nothing but rave reviews about it.... I know some might be concerned about having bank stuff consolidated in a central spot, but I'm comfortable enough with them.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
That sounds like a good approach! May I ask what you all use for tracking your expenses? I just signed up for Mint.com but am not sure how that compares to Quicken or other personal finance software.
I created my own spreadsheet on Excel. It's not that hard to do and you can customize it to fit your own situation. The hardest part is thinking about all the different things on which we spend money. The things for which you receive a monthly or quarterly bill and write a check are easy. It is also not too difficult to sit down with the credit card bill (we use Amex almost exclusively) once a month and divide up the entries by category, such as "gas", "grocery", "restaurant", "wine" etc. (Amex gold card will do it for you, but I find their allocation doesn't match mine). The hardest part is all the cash expenses, such as the dry cleaners, haircuts, lunch at the office, movies, etc. I tend to hoard cash receipts in my jacket pocket and then on top of the dresser until the weekend and then I enter a bunch of things at once. It took me a few years to refine/add categories so that we didn't end up with a huge "miscellaneous" amount.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board. I found the books by Solin to be particularly useful.

And become good friends with FireCalc.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome ! I love the San Fran area !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:56 AM   #16

About motivating a spouse: Sometimes it helps to discuss long term goals that would help the reluctant one or both partners and calculate how small sacrifices today and tomorrow contribute to this goal in the long run.
In our case, we have 6 years age difference between us. So our long term goal was to retire together at the earliest point in time that provided a pension + health care for DH and to do this with enough funds for travelling and fun.
Our detailed overview of expenses, monthly balance sheet and projections helped to realize that such ER is possible.
For other people this could be a sabathical or a change of careers or... or...
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:20 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
.....We currently earn relatively high salaries (approximately $400K/year combined) but our jobs are fairly stressful and we work long hours. ......

....Our goal is to live off my boyfriend’s base salary, and save both his bonus and my salary. We have been maxing out our retirement accounts, but I am planning to open up a taxable joint account at Vanguard for additional investments. In addition, we are hoping to pay off my student loans in the next year (they are at 5%) and also pre-pay a large chunk of the mortgage.
Quote:
Thanks all for your replies! I have been reading lots of books and trying to learn about different types of investment accounts, indexing, taxes, etc.

....After taxes, 401(k), health insurance and other deductions, the BF’s base take home pay is roughly $80K, so our current approach is to use $1,500 of that every month to pay down debt and then spend what's left over. It’s not a perfect solution and I am sure there is still quite a bit of waste we could cut out, but it avoids any tensions that would otherwise arise.
I think you are in great shape. If setting a specific budget is likely to cause any friction with the BF then I don't see any reason to do so at the present time since you are both obviously living a good lifestyle on $80k/year and saving lots of money for ER. By ring-fenching your income and saving it, you are already living within a budget - whether or not you call it a "budget".

Welcome to the site.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks, everyone! I spoke with the BF yesterday, and we are going to try tracking our expenses starting next month. I set up an Excel spreadsheet that I've started filling in with our fixed expenses, and I'll try to add the discretionary expenses once a week. Part of me doesn't really want to know how much the BF spends on eating out every week, but I've promised him that I'll try not to be a nag. Hopefully, this tracking system works, but if it ends up causing tension, we might have to go back to our old system.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the forum! San Francisco is one of my favourite cities.

You two are doing great if you are this organized in your 20s. Do the budget, but use it as an information gathering tool. If all is well, no need to obsess about entering every receipt on an ongoing basis. If your BF is spending too much money and time in restaurants, I would be more worried about his waist circumference and salt intake than about your finances, LOL!

It seems you own your home. Is it jointly owned? You seem to be the higher earner if BF's take home pay is ~$80K. My risk management antennae are up. What if you guys break up? Do you have a prenup or similar agreement? Who gets the dog? The tchotchkes? The home?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Part of me doesn't really want to know how much the BF spends on eating out every week, but I've promised him that I'll try not to be a nag.
Well, if it helps, one potential fix might be to either just have a 'misc' category on the budget or maybe separate accounts for spending like this (just set up a second checking account with direct pay from a paycheck so it's not even noticeable).

If he eats lunch out 300 times a year and spends an average of $15 a meal, that's just 5% of his take home pay. Sure, that's 5% more you could be saving, but it's probably not worth increasing any relationship stress over.. and that includes either bottling it up inside and resenting him or blowing up at him and having him resent you