Join Early Retirement Today

Hi from South Africa
Old 05-18-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi from South Africa

Hi everyone, glad to find this forum. New to investing, and looking for lots of advice. I see there are not too many foriegners, actually I am an expat American based in South Africa originally from Cincinnati early days and later NYC. So here is my quick rundown. . . 36 married, one child, lived abroad for 13 years. Didnt really save much until I got the opportunity to work in an offshore tax free environment where my expenses where covered by the employers. This helped me to save about 30,000 dollars in a year, which was when i was 31, (2001) then got married, and my wife had a little in a retirement fund. Together we used my savings to buy two small properties which where mortgaged to the hilt with 50% and the balance I used to start a recruitment business which is now four years old. The property boom hit here also so we sold both properties and did really well. Now renting, no debt, my business which is doing well and owns our cars. The business grew from 2 to 9 employees now. I am training someone to take my role in the business at the moment so that I have freedom to come back to the states for three to four months a year to be with family. My wife will quit her job, she is a fashion editor for a International fashion magazine, and work freelance next year as a stylist consultant. Maybe another child. Our net worth 7 years ago was about 10,000 US, is now 220,000 US not including the business which has just under 100,000 US cash and a value of around 2 times that or more i guess.
Now sitting with the half "net worth" in a money market, the interest rate here is 6.9% deciding what to do! The balance is in a retirement fund with South African funds. I have applied to take the money abroad, there are exchange controls here, and then would like to invest in American and European funds I guess, hope to pick up some advice and really hoping for an early retirement, currently got it down to three days of week of work, although the two day of the week i am at home is spent 40% on the phone/computer.
sagenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hi from South Africa
Old 05-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, Sagenx. My father grew up in Milford and we spent a good bit of my childhood commuting back & forth from Pittsburgh.

You're probably familiar with international investing and asset allocation. The next step is coming up with an asset allocation you feel comfortable with and then putting the money into it. Of course 6.9% means you don't have to be in much of a hurry.

Have you looked at a location where you can estimate expenses and run FIRECalc scenarios to decide how much you need and when ER might happen?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:48 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi, I will have to read your posts on Firecalc, not to sure what that is. The money market rates are good, you can get a gov bond 1 year for 9%, as we have high interest rates here, but have to be careful of the depreciation of the Rand as it does the opposite of the dollar and is linked to the Euro and gold, at the moment its holding steady. We also have much higher inflation. When you say location, do you mean to retire, it would most likely be here in South Africa with a few months a year in the US with family. Cape Town where I am based is which is like San Diego, the coldest it gets is about 55 F and the hottest is about 85F, sunny 8 months. Lower cost of living but crime can be high so you need to live in a decent area. I am going to read "four pillars of investment" and have just finished "opportunity investing" to understand a bit more about asset allocation before I decide"
sagenx is offline   Reply With Quote

« hello | Oh so close »