Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2015, 10:36 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

thanks for the update! Sounds like a great vacation and that your plans for ER are all on track!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Happy New Year and time for an update...

I wasn't comfortable pulling the trigger last May. Summers are usually the most stressful in the office with annual plans, annual employee reviews and a fiscal year end. This past summer was no different from a work perspective, but I also lost my father in law while we were on our summer vacation. Needless to say, it was a tough summer.

I plan on telling my boss on Mar 15 that I will be retiring on May 15. I have been grooming my backfill and feel good leaving my team in really good hands. I may have to announce a little earlier since the guy I have been grooming is being recruited for a position in Europe. He knows my plans and would much rather have my job than moving his family to Europe, but if there is a lot of pressure on him, I will announce a little earlier to make it easier on him and my boss.

My withdrawal rate will be just under 2.5%, which I know is conservative, but helps me sleep better. I update my spreadsheet every month and there were no major surprises this past year, other than my NW ending higher than I had forecast due to higher savings and better market returns. I am feeling very confident about retiring this year and don't have any of those nervous butterflies second guessing myself.

I have a 2 day racing school set up for the weekend after I retire and a packed summer with the kids. Wishing everyone the best in 2017!

Old 01-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #23

Congrats and thanks for the update. Nice to see your plans coming to fruition!
Old 03-16-2017, 12:14 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Another quick update:
1) I told my boss in January that I was going to retire.
2) Last day in the office will be early May
3) Last day as an employee will be early June (burning some vacation)

My finances are ahead of my plan and I haven't had any regrets about my decision. I am waiting for the panic to set in, but I think I have been planning long enough that I hope it will be minimal.

We started announcing my retirement plans last week and the comments have been pretty standard. It usually comes in the form of congrats I'm jealous, to congrats FU (in jest) and what are you going to do all day. There were a couple boneheaded comments like have you saved enough or do you have your kids college accounts funded. The most common is OMG, how old are you, that is awesome.

I noticed that quite a few of the execs have a similar response: you are so brave to do this so early. I could retire now, but I really enjoy working. This seems to be more self reflective than any kind of criticism. They also comment that this is surprising because I am charging and pushing the teams just as hard as ever even though I won't be at the company much longer. I just say it is personal pride that drives me. I'll use the same passion to enjoy my family time and hobbies in a couple months.

The count down is on, 50 days left!
Old 03-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations. Enjoy your well deserved new life. We are friendly with a couple who retired in their early 40's from Wall Street. He and his wife also have two daughters that are probably 11 and 13 or so now. The wife took a job recently as the president of a non-profit, he is an adjunct professor as of last fall. He is home everyday for the kids, but I know he was bored stiff. It sounds like you have some hobbies, he didn't which was part of the problem. Cheers!
Old 03-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #26

Congrats
Old 03-16-2017, 09:12 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Nice! That must feel great
Old 03-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #28

Congrats! Just read back to the start of this thread and would like to add - no more delays. You are better positioned than many of us - enjoy retirement!
Old 03-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations, your perseverance and planning have paid off handsomely and you can Enjoy the rest of your life on your terms!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:36 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Time for another update!

My last day in the office was May 5th and my last paycheck was June 2nd. I thought I would get nervous leading up to my last day. The only thing I got nervous about was giving a speech at my going away party. The last 6 weeks have been great! I got to spend the first few weeks with my wife while our kids were still in school. I have been knocking off a bunch of my projects with many to go. I was able to drop off and pick up my girls from school and take them around to their after school activities. I have also been able to get a good workout routine going with cardio and weights, which I am starting to feel/see the benefits.

On the last day of school, we took off for a camping trip with 6 other families and had a blast. I've been able to spend more time with and helping my parents and MIL. We had a wonderful Father's day with my whole family at our house. I think the best part was, I had no Sunday work stress, which was amazing.

I have yet to be bored and I am really enjoying spending my time with my family. I thought I would be stressed about the stock market and my portfolio, but what I found is that I am way less worried about it and I am rarely checking the stock market.

We are heading to Hawaii in a couple weeks and we are really looking forward to this one. It will be the first vacation where I haven't had to clear email, review approvals, have early morning calls or afternoon interruptions from some work related crisis. Being present with my family will be amazing.

The only time I felt a slight pang related to work was last week. I received an email from my broker stating that my company cancelled all my unvested options. They were significant golden handcuffs, that I broke free of. It is pretty liberating and I am really looking forward to our FIRE future. I thought I would have played more golf and practiced my guitars more, but there is always time for that when the kids head back to school. I highly recommend this retirement thing.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:05 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love these yearly updates.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:53 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome to the rest of your life. Sounds like you made the right decision. Have a great summer with your family.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Just retired in January at 56. Have been to St. Martin, South Beach, Louisville and Nashville in a rented 25 foot Airstream and just returned from Athens and the Greek Islands. A total of 40 days. Prior to retiring never had more than 5 days in row off in my life.

Vacation without work as a passenger is a whole new world for me. It has been wonderful without worrying about:

1. What time is it at home?
2. My phone is going nuts.
3. Should I return that call?
4. Can that wait until we are back at the hotel?
5. What hornets nest will I be returning to?

Five and a half months in and loving it.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:21 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1ben View Post
Just retired in January at 56. Have been to St. Martin, South Beach, Louisville and Nashville in a rented 25 foot Airstream...
How did you like the Airstream?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:36 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Just checking in after my 4 months of FIRE. Our 2 weeks in Hawaii were awesome. We all had a blast and I got in a little golf. The summer was a little difficult to get into a routine with the kids off for summer vacation. However, I was totally ok with that since family time was my #1 reason I retired.

The kids have been back in school for about a month now. I have been working on my golf game and have been shooting between 10 and 17 over, which is better than I was expecting. My drives have been erratic, so I spent a couple hours with video/range lessons, made some club adjustment and I started hitting it more consistent... then I broke my toe and haven't been able to practice/play for the past 2 weeks. However, the toe also allowed me to practice my guitars more and I feel like I am making pretty good progress. Days fly by and I still have a ton on my project/hobby list to do. I have not missed work at all and thanks to the market, my NW is much higher than my Jan'17 forecast. I am still fine tuning my cash flow (consolidating accts, paying off rentals, CD ladders for 2 year cash, etc), but feeling pretty confident financially. My withdrawl rate is now 2% of investible assets.

On the health front, I had my annual physical last week and it was pretty cool, BP was down 10 pts, resting heart rate is down 10pts and my weight was down 10 lbs. Seems like retirement is doing my body good.