Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Agree with jIMOh. Rochester is still Western NY. Syracuse, though might be too far east for Western.

Born in Buffalo, raised in Darien (middle of nowhere town with a lot of cows and, oddly, a large amusement park). College at the University of Rochester. Mom lives in Attica, several miles from Attica Prison. Sister lives in Fairport, outside of Rochester.

I would not move back to Western NY. Winters too long, days too short in the winter.
I went to college with someone last name was Kronk- but that was in Michigan (Flint). I grew up in Fairport.

Winters might be long, but with global warming that is all going to change sooner or later anyway (or so I hear). I would rather see 3 feet of snow in western NY than 1/3 of a inch here in Ohio. People here begin to panic when the weatherman mentions snow. Yet they carry on when the tornado sirens are going off.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
Winters might be long...see 3 feet of snow in western NY than 1/3 of a inch here in Ohio.
hey, i HEARD that!
are you in cahoots with my dh2b? he is a snowmobiler and drives me nutz from November to February wishing for more..ahem <clears throat>
s...sn..sno...oh, i can't say it yet! LOL
Old 10-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Born in Buffalo, raised in Darien (middle of nowhere town with a lot of cows and, oddly, a large amusement park). College at the University of Rochester. Mom lives in Attica, several miles from Attica Prison. Sister lives in Fairport, outside of Rochester.

I would not move back to Western NY. Winters too long, days too short in the winter.
Born in Nyack (Hudson Valley), grew up near Bear Mt bridge, college in Oneonta (Central NY) and Binghamton (Southern Tier). Now live due east of Syracuse (Leatherstocking) somewhere right down the road from a working dairy farm, past the 3 trees on the right near the red white & blue mailbox.

bless you for saying the winters are too long. we actually have 7 seasons here...
late winter, early spring, rainy mud season, summer, indian summer, fall, & winter.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
hey, i HEARD that!
are you in cahoots with my dh2b? he is a snowmobiler and drives me nutz from November to February wishing for more..ahem <clears throat>
that's what I'm talking about. We get 12 inches of snow here in cincy land and it melts or is rained away within a day or two.

I want it to stay so I can ski or sled or have a snow ball fight.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
that's what I'm talking about. We get 12 inches of snow here in cincy land and it melts or is rained away within a day or two.

I want it to stay so I can ski or sled or have a snow ball fight.
the next time you see the lake effect machine revving up over Lake Ontario, hop in your car and come on over and have a ball!
oh, and would you shovel my front steps twice or 3x a day while you're here?
actually, i don't mind the sn** too much now that i'm FIREd. i can shovel when i feel like it. and it is beautiful after a fresh sn**fall.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
bless you for saying the winters are too long. we actually have 7 seasons here...
late winter, early spring, rainy mud season, summer, indian summer, fall, & winter.
Hey, you forgot black flies season.

Mom - Born in Brooklyn - the city
Me - born in Warwick - upstate NY
- lived in Syracuse - central NY
- visited Buffalo - western NY

Funny how people see things. My grandmother lived in Oswego county and I still have an Aunt in Mexico. They average over 200" of snow a year

I get up at 7 yeah, and I go to work at 9. Got no time for livin yes I'm workin all the time. Seems to me I could live my life a lot better than I think I am. I guess thats why they call me the Working Man.
DJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:46 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRR View Post
Hey, you forgot black flies season.

Mom - Born in Brooklyn - the city
Me - born in Warwick - upstate NY
- lived in Syracuse - central NY
- visited Buffalo - western NY

Funny how people see things. My grandmother lived in Oswego county and I still have an Aunt in Mexico. They average over 200" of snow a year
yes, of course, the blackflies, season #8. they're not too bad here, but in the Adirondacks in June, OMG! i won't go near the park until at least late July.
I've driven thru Mexico NY in wintertime and saw the snow there, after the fact. i'm just south of the tug hill plateau, TG. so we get a lot, but nowhere near that much.
ever heard of Redfield NY? they had 141" of snow in 10 days in Feb 08, right after the Super Bowl. i used to write a snowmobile club newsletter and reported that record amount last spring, in the pre-mud season. the weather channel ever came to that town to do a special program.
warwick is not too far away from where i grew up near the bear mt bridge.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board, Marilyn! Sounds like you'll have no problems being responsible for your own entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
But, I am still working on the "you're too young to not work!" guilt trips. Finding this forum, and a whole bunch of people who are young and ER'd, was/is a great help. With continued reading of this forum, and the great postings here, hopefully, I'll be able to work through the guilt of not working and be happily ER'd.
Survivor guilt. It fades away...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:41 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
hey, i HEARD that!
Yeah, it is too early for that. I hade to scrape my windows already on the morning of Oct 1st...depressing.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:26 AM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks, everyone, for the welcome to the board ... and for the comments about NY.

I had originally planned on retiring in Texas because of no state tax and no snow (!). But, I picked NY because my family all lives here.

It's not too bad, although I never thought I'd live where there is SNOW (!). But, someone on this board had a point (sorry that I am too lazy to look back now that I am in posting mode...). When you are retired, and therefore don't really HAVE to go somewhere, snow (and shoveling) ain't too bad - you can get to it as you wish. Nice! And, since I do think upstate (western?) New York is beautiful country ... I can deal.

And, Oma - congrats on YOUR service and retirement (come on in the water's fine!). Also, you asked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Hi Marilyn,

[...snip...]

Curious if you find the taxes high in NY? Are military pensions taxed in NY?

[...snip...]
I really don't find the taxes high here; sales tax in the counties run 7-8%, while property tax runs about 2% (but most people are eligible for the STAR exemption and, as a military person who has served in the military and a combat zone - I get a veteran's exemption). As I am not in the city, living expenses are relatively low.

And, NY is one of the states that does not tax the pension (which was a MAJOR part of my decision to move here - no matter if the family is here or not). I would never retire in a state [that I did not work in] that taxes my federal pay. I'm just greedy like that...

Again, thanks all for the welcome.

Marilyn
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:46 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for the welcome to the board ... and for the comments about NY....It's not too bad, although I never thought I'd live where there is SNOW (!). But, someone on this board had a point...When you are retired, and therefore don't really HAVE to go somewhere, snow (and shoveling) ain't too bad - you can get to it as you wish. Nice!
STAR exemption and, as a military person who has served in the military and a combat zone - I get a veteran's exemption).
And, NY is one of the states that does not tax the pension...
that was me regarding shovel when ya feel like it. i look at it as getting some exercise with no gym fees.
vet's exemption on prop taxes is great - you deserve it!
one of the few tax advantages that NY has - no tax on mil pensions. Ssssshhhhhh! Albany has big ears.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:02 AM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Ssssshhhhhh! Albany has big ears.
You got that right! That's one thing that makes me nervous about living in this state - despite the family and new home.

And, with this current economic mess - which, no doubt, is making the state powers-that-be very nervous about operating money (as a LOT comes from the city ...), who knows WHAT Albany will do!

Definitely watching the "weather" from the capitol ...

Marilyn
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, for the welcome to the board ... and for the comments about NY.

I had originally planned on retiring in Texas because of no state tax and no snow (!). But, I picked NY because my family all lives here.

It's not too bad, although I never thought I'd live where there is SNOW (!). But, someone on this board had a point (sorry that I am too lazy to look back now that I am in posting mode...). When you are retired, and therefore don't really HAVE to go somewhere, snow (and shoveling) ain't too bad - you can get to it as you wish. Nice! And, since I do think upstate (western?) New York is beautiful country ... I can deal.

And, Oma - congrats on YOUR service and retirement (come on in the water's fine!). Also, you asked:

I really don't find the taxes high here; sales tax in the counties run 7-8%, while property tax runs about 2% (but most people are eligible for the STAR exemption and, as a military person who has served in the military and a combat zone - I get a veteran's exemption). As I am not in the city, living expenses are relatively low.

And, NY is one of the states that does not tax the pension (which was a MAJOR part of my decision to move here - no matter if the family is here or not). I would never retire in a state [that I did not work in] that taxes my federal pay. I'm just greedy like that...

Again, thanks all for the welcome.

Marilyn
My parents (live in Fairport NY-outside of Rochester), told me that NYS gives a 20k exemption per person for retirement income.

Father has a pension or IRA from his employer
Mother worked for state (librarian).

Not sure how factual that is, as they aren't as tax savvy or investing savvy as many others I know.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

I love hearing about someone who is perfectly content not working after retirement, and admire the way you've figured out how much you need to live on, and don't feel the need always to be trying to make more, more, more.

Guess that free military health care helps too :-) We just spent $15,000 on spouse's dental work...and that was with dental insurance. It would have been nearly $25K without the insurance. Made us grateful I'm still working.

Enjoy life in the beautiful upstate country.