Hi, I am 53, and looking to learn

RockOn

Full time employment: Posting here.
I sort of er'd about 5 years ago. I now do consulting work and love the freedom. I work more than I thought I would but have 2 kids starting college so the extra money helps a lot.

I'm scared to death of the stock market since I have a nest egg in place and cannot handle the swings. I'm mostly look for income type investments.

I've tried it all...options, futures, stocks, bonds, etf's, high yield bonds...did lots of market timing. I made out pretty well but market timing doesn't work anymore in my opinion. These days it is a surer bet to go against the trend that to try to ride it. The "trend is your friend" days are over. Too much short term trading by huge players, that's my view anyway.

Anyway, glad to be here and to see what goes on.

If you have tried options, futures, trend trading, and market timing as introductions
to the markets I am not surprised you are scared to death of it. That would scare
me too - and I am retired with a 100% individual stock portfolio.

Welcome to the board.

I'm scared to death of the stock market since I have a nest egg in place and cannot handle the swings. I'm mostly look for income type investments.

I've tried it all...options, futures, stocks, bonds, etf's, high yield bonds...did lots of market timing. I made out pretty well but market timing doesn't work anymore in my opinion. These days it is a surer bet to go against the trend that to try to ride it. The "trend is your friend" days are over. Too much short term trading by huge players, that's my view anyway.

Anyway, glad to be here and to see what goes on.

Welcome! I'm 53, retired, and a little scared with the market too. But, I'm trying to stick to my long term plan. Pretty much follow the 100 rule. Age equals fixed income allocation, the difference in stocks. As the market tanks, I'm buying more stocks to maintain my stock allocation. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to trim back on stock's someday due to the market rising. We can only hope. History says that will be the case. :-\

CyclingInvestor, not really an introduction, I actually made enough to ER doing those things. Nothing seems to work anymore, the markets are too wild, if that's the right word. I think buy and hold may be the best option now, but with most stocks selling at pretty high prices (many PE's still in the 20's or more with earnings likely to decline soon), one has to pray nothing goes wrong. I avoided this recent market hit and wouldn't mind putting some money in the market now, but prices are still pretty high I think.

Back
Top Bottom