Join Early Retirement Today

Hi! I am 60,wife is 60 Early retiring??
Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi! I am 60,wife is 60 Early retiring??

First post, let me introduce myself.

I am 60. Wife is 60. Both of us planned to work until 66.

August 2010 I was terminated from a sales job making $55K per year. 24 year company employee. Sales Manager and Division President terminated for a very bogus reason, untimely response to customer request. I knew it was bogus, I had largest Sales$ territory in the company. After I got severance package and signed release agreement, the sales manager hires his 25 year old son as my replacement. That sucks!

Age discrimination issues are present for filing with EEOC. However have been advised by legal counsel, filing an EEOC claim is easy, winning that claim is difficult.

I am now over the shock after three months after termination from sales job. The anger and bitterness toward former company is still in my mind and emotions, just not as intense.

My wife is 60 and long time school teacher. Her salary is $70,000 per year. With my unemployment benefits and her salary we are paying the bills. Lowered our lifestyle and after three months we are doing ok.

Met with Financial Advisor shortly after my job termination. After doing the math with him we should be ok both short and long term financially.

I would prefer to find employment,jobs are hard to find to replace a $55K income.

Have other Early retirees on the board been in this situation. Would appreciate comments from other members.

Thanks and looking forward to boards!

Watertree
Watertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome Walter, a few things I don't understand.

If you guys have enough money to retire, why don't you retire. Why would you want to work to 66 if you have enough $ now?

This is the early retirement forum you know.

You may want to read a few books about retirement as I see you have a financial advisor.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

24 years with same company is a great stretch -- Did you manage to accumulate a pile of retirement savings in that time ?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
If you guys have enough money to retire, why don't you retire. Why would you want to work to 66 if you have enough $ now?
Maybe they want to still contribute to my SS ?

Seriously, I was thinking the same thing.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Health insurance issues. My wife is a school teacher and we are both on her health insurance. Her health insurance is available as long as she is working.

I need to do the FIRE calculator before I decide if I can early retire. All of this is new to me. Please bear with a newbie

Watertree
Old 11-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Welcome Walter, a few things I don't understand.

This is the early retirement forum you know.

You may want to read a few books about retirement as I see you have a financial advisor.
Health insurance issues. My wife is a school teacher and we are both on her health insurance. Her health insurance is available as long as she is working.

I need to do the FIRE calculator before I decide if I can early retire. All of this is new to me. Please bear with a newbie

Watertree
Old 11-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #7

Walter, no need for your DW to work till 66 as she can retire 1 1/2 years before she turns 65 and go one Cobra for health ins. This will cut her retirement date down by 2 1/2 years.
At 65 you will both be on Medicare.

As far as Firecalc that would be a good idea. On your original post you said you guys had enough money and that's why I asked the question.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #8

Wow. Sorry this happened to you.

Welcome to the board Watertree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watertree View Post
After I got severance package and signed release agreement, the sales manager hires his 25 year old son as my replacement. That sucks!
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote