Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol1862 View Post
...However, it certainly seems like we are quite behind the typical poster on this site. I do enjoy reading all the posts. Again, highly impressive group here.
Never worry about being "behind" what others say they have. One of the best lessons my Dad gave me (and which I eventually got thru my thick head ) was "don't worry about what others have. Worry about what you need. If you look at someone who has materially more, or someone who has materially less, look at what you can learn from them, and not from either jealously or superiority."

If the calculators give you a good sense of security, that is all that matters as far as I am concerned. You have done very well.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
As a self-selected group, I think we are overly concerned about planning. I update the plan once a year. Never run FIRECALC anymore.
Agree. Don't run Firecalc (not much point after 11 years of retirement). Still like to plan and control though. Look at the budget every few days, out current plus two years. Have schedules and flights booked out many months. Just the way we are. Almost a fetish?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Never worry about being "behind" what others say they have. One of the best lessons my Dad gave me (and which I eventually got thru my thick head ) was "don't worry about what others have. Worry about what you need. If you look at someone who has materially more, or someone who has materially less, look at what you can learn from them, and not from either jealously or superiority."

If the calculators give you a good sense of security, that is all that matters as far as I am concerned. You have done very well.
This is absolutely great advice. I only wish I could get it through my thick head as well.
steadystate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInSeattle View Post
Here's an idea. Maybe a couple new forums would be useful ... leanFIRE and fatFIRE, that would cater to the two ends of the ER spectrum. That would give a sense of community for those of relatively limited financial means.
As far as I can tell, those fora already exist. leanFIRE is Mr. Money Mustache, fatFIRE is Bogleheads.com.

I just read a question about how to convert $4 million from 401K to Roth on Bogleheads. Dryer sheets are the maid's problem.

On Mr. Money Mustache I found a query on which used inexpensive bicycle someone should look for. Dryer sheets are a flagrant waste of money.

Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcap View Post
As far as I can tell, those fora already exist. leanFIRE is Mr. Money Mustache, fatFIRE is Bogleheads.com.

I just read a question about how to convert $4 million from 401K to Roth on Bogleheads. Dryer sheets are the maid's problem.

An element of truth, but there definitely are many people posting regularly at bogleheads with far less money than that--and/or who have only the big deferred pot and don't have pension/investment income at a level sufficient to raise issues about how to go about converting. MMM undoubtedly has some wealthy posters--but when I used to be active there, I instinctively kept my head very low!
Old 06-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's very hard (as well as pointless) to make comparisons here. Some people mention their assets but have pensions to help. Other people have smaller amounts but live in much cheaper cost of living areas. Some have lots more than I do, but have kids to put through school or a much more expensive lifestyle.

I think it's natural to want some comparison - to get some comfort that if they can do it, then I can do it too. But there are so many variables that most comparisons aren't that useful. The best advice I got here is to know your own living expenses and use that to determine what you need.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Each of you have been so helpful. Truly appreciate all the responses. Educating myself as best as I can. Been keeping a budget for years so I do know where it's all going. Again, thank you. I've learned a lot on this forum and will continue.
Carol1862 is offline   Reply With Quote