Join Early Retirement Today

Hi I am from Frankfort, KY
Old 07-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi I am from Frankfort, KY

I am 62 years old, just retired, and loving every minute. I broke some rules by posting a link earlier, so I am trying to obey the rules. I am looking forward to being a part of the community! Greetings to all!
Larry
lribookend is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome aboard Larry to our wonderful forum. Looking forward to your future posts.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #3

Welcome aboard. This is a very friendly forum with an amazing wealth of expertise in every possible subject under the sun. Feel free to ask nearly anything and contribute what you know.

My best piece of advice to newcomers is to spend some time looking at all the various forums within E-R.com and reading the threads that interest you.

And for the record, there are quite a few of us here who live in Kentucky.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to a fellow Kentuckian!
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I only lived in Kentucky for a couple of years, but I have fond memories. My father RE there and is buried in a beautiful historic cemetery in Pisgah.

Welcome!
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #6

Welcome Larry,

I have only been in Kentucky for 48 hours. My wife and I attended the 2016 Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby. Fun trip and a beautiful drive. As others have said - these boards provide excellent info....

I

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:20 AM   #7

Welcome.
Share your story .... your work history, retirement savings approach, nest egg, etc.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:13 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMATERP View Post
Welcome Larry,

I have only been in Kentucky for 48 hours. My wife and I attended the 2016 Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby. Fun trip and a beautiful drive. As others have said - these boards provide excellent info....

I
Sorry to side track a bit - but was looking into Kentucky as a trip for Bourbon tasting, countryside driving and the Kentucky Derby.
If you are comfortable providing it, can you state how much you spent all in for the Derby. It appeared "Super Bowl" type pricey to me.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Sorry to side track a bit - but was looking into Kentucky as a trip for Bourbon tasting, countryside driving and the Kentucky Derby.
If you are comfortable providing it, can you state how much you spent all in for the Derby. It appeared "Super Bowl" type pricey to me.
Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I wanted to comment about the Oaks and Derby. It has been many years since I was last there. I think it is cheaper than attending the Super Bowl, but as I have never been to the Super Bowl, that is just an assumption. The Derby can be extremely expensive depending on where you want to sit, eat, and where you stay. I have family in Louisville so I just stay with them when I am in town. You can always stay in a hotel that is outside of Louisville to save on lodging costs.

Many local residents prefer to attend the Oaks the day before the Derby...less tourists, pomp and celebrities. The infield is much cheaper than the stands, but you don't get to see much of the races, if any, from the infield. But many people go for the experience and atmosphere more than to watch the races, which of course you can watch on tv or probably on a cell phone.

The Bourbon Trail is on my list of things to do. The distilleries all have tours and a free sample...and of course, bottles to sell at the end. Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, Jim Beam, and about 9 others are within an hour of where I live in Frankfort. I've heard it is great fun, and I don't think it is extremely costly.

Rebecca Ruth Candy has a tour of their mini-museum here for a small charge. Their chocolate and bourbon balls are the best in the world.

Another fun and (nearly free, or at least it used to be free) tour is the HUGE Toyota plant in Georgetown, about 8 miles from Lexington, and close to the KY Horse Park/Museum, which is also wonderful to see.

The State Park system in KY is very good and reasonably priced, although it can be difficult to book rooms at some locations on certain weekends unless you do it far ahead, or can get on a cancelation list.

When it cools off this fall, my wife and I will be driving to the hundreds of fall festivals in KY, to see the trees in their fall glory, and drive the back roads. There are numerous historical sites to see. I love horse country, especially in the spring when the colts and fillies are being born and staying close to their Moms!

I must sound like a Parks and Tourism Director for KY. Sorry, I know every state has some special places to see and things to do. There are so many in KY I am going to have trouble going to all of them before I die.

Again, thanks to all for the warm welcome!
Larry
Old 07-12-2018, 07:22 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thank you Iribookend for your comprehensive response. I will check out Derby info and a little more, but definitely have Kentucky on my to visit list.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I just outside Cincinnati in Northern KY (NKY). Spend a lot of time around KY

If you like horse racing, check out Keeneland in Lexington. Great venue.
Been to several of the distilleries. Buffalo Trace was our favorite.

If you like hiking, recommend you check out Red River Gorge.

If you like boating, there are some great lakes in KY as well.
tgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
Welcome.
Share your story .... your work history, retirement savings approach, nest egg, etc.
I lived in central KY for about 40 years, with a 20-year break in the middle climbing (corporate) ladders. Lived in Michigan (first 3 months of life), KY, OH, WV, KS, TN, GA. Made very good money at times, but was also unemployed and sleeping in my oldest son's unheated garage for a couple months one winter. Highs and lows of life. First marriage lasted 23 years. I have been remarried now for 8 years to an Arkansas gal.

Owned a bookstore in WV for a couple years after being "re-engineered out". Loved it, but made no money. Wife divorced me, so I moved back to KY. They say you can leave KY, but you always come back. Lots of truth to that.

I have 4 kids and 6 grandchildren on my side, 2 kids and 2 grandkids on my wife's side. She is a Kentucky sports fan except when they play Arkansas, LOL.

the last 13 years I have worked for the state of KY in various Human Resources jobs before retiring at age 62 six weeks ago. I love retirement, although it was an adjustment at first.

My pension proceeds from working at Columbia Gas for 11 years provided a really nice nest egg. My pension from working for the state of KY (after taxes and health insurance) amounts to a whopping $110 or so.

But I paid a lot into social security over the years, and that is the major source of my retirement income. I also plan to take out money from the 401 (K) when the market is high. Mostly, I live frugally, as I find it is easier to save money by spending as little as possible, than to earn it with a low-paying job. The cost of living here is very low, and I am ruthless when it comes to buying only things that are on sale. I am basically a hermit who likes to write, paint, garden, and play on the 'net.

Larry