Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, I am here to learn
Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi, I am here to learn

Been a lurker here for about a year. Very impressed with what I have learned. I am a burned out divorce lawyer who enjoys financial planning and dreams of ER. I am amazed at the collective knowledge regarding investing, tax implications, ss and health ins. No immediate questions, just an intro. Goal is to ease into part time work in 10 years at 52. Still have a lot to accomplish before then. Will be happy to have good advice from this group in the future.
prose3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2014, 06:43 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome. It's more fun if you ask questions, give personal financial info and let us barrage you with suggestions and comments.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome. No offense, but I have to say that seems like a pretty depressing profession to be in. I can't imagine having to deal with couple misery everyday. More power to you and good luck on your ER plans.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #5

Welcome! It's good to have a target age to get free, most don't. You are on the path.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, miserable profession, but it pays well. Golden handcuffs, I suppose. As to my background, I am myself divorced with two kids-one in high school and one in college. Started over from scratch financially speaking after the divorce like so many others. I have been working hard for ten years to build my business and pay my debts (monstrous student loans). Don't really have any stupid debt but I do have mortgages, rental property and student loans still. I am way behind on retirement accounts but making progress. Recently moved everything to vanguard after following this and other blogs. No more expensive fa.

I do have a question. I have a corporate client. Had them for 12 years. Plan to keep only them in retirement. Easy work, documents via the internet and pays about 30k net a year. Obviously no guarantees, but how does that figure into FIRE?
Old 01-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by prose3589 View Post
I do have a question. I have a corporate client. Had them for 12 years. Plan to keep only them in retirement. Easy work, documents via the internet and pays about 30k net a year. Obviously no guarantees, but how does that figure into FIRE?
I wouldn't use that income at all in your ER calculations. Clients can drop you at any time, so it would be foolish to be dependent on that money. I'd treat it as a bonus and enjoy it as long as it lasts.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Sort of what I thought. I just like that extra cushion from an emotional standpoint!