Join Early Retirement Today

Hi I am new here
Old 05-18-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi I am new here

A little about myself I am a not so young 60 taking an early retirement from Gov service with a combined time of military and civil service of 39 years...
Needless to say I have a lot to learn about retiring....

Also,needless to say my mind is more than a little warped by decades of gov. work. I went through a period of depression about retiring last year-it's like I was giving up or giving in, yadda yadda, or something. It took a couple of months but I got over that feeling now I am anxious to get the retirement thing over and move on with the few years I have left.

This site is great wish I had found it earlier. I admire folks who took matters into their own hands and took ER. Life is just to short to waste working at something that doesn't make you feel good about you.

I think as I read the posts here I will get more insight into the next phase of my life and what I want to do with it. I am looking forward to your posts.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hi I am new here
Old 05-18-2005, 07:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
It took a couple of months but I got over that feeling now I am anxious to get the retirement thing over and move on with the few years I have left.
Kitty my dear, first thing is to lose that "the few years than I have left" business. You might have 40 years left! Today is the first day of the rest of your life, and it can be long and fun.

Mikey
Old 05-19-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Kitty, welcome. My grandmother lived to 92, you may have and should live as if you have many years ahead of you - enjoy.

Mikey: I have to say that reading your posts, you really come across as a wonderful guy!!
artist59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I second that, 20 years of active living is more than likely in store for you, and you could have twice that! My grandpa in law is crossbow hunting at age 76 and chops enough firewood to last him those Wisconsin winters. You are going to have a blast!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:07 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

So Laurence, has your grandpa in law ever caught any crossbows?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Not when he's drinking!

I guess I should clarify the prey is deer, and he only hunts what he can eat/use. He and his wife came all the way to San Diego for our wedding, and just a couple of weeks before we realized it was their 50th anniversary the next day! So we planned a big thing for them at the reception, gave them a nice present etc. and later on thanked them for coming out for our wedding despite the fact it was their 50th anniversary. He responded, "There is snow on the ground back home, you think you gotta twist my arm to spend our anniversary at the beach?"
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Kitty my dear, first thing is to lose that "the few years than I have left" business.
Agree with Mikey. My Dad is a Fed and can retire if he wants to but he really has no interests in life. I feel bad for him & hope he realizes what life has to offer besides work & a paycheck. I started reading the "Your Money or Your Life" book and it has me thinking quite a bit. May help you. Other people here will have better recos than me.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Agree with Mikey.* My Dad is a Fed and can retire if he wants to but he really has no interests in life.* I feel bad for him & hope he realizes what life has to offer besides work & a paycheck.* I started reading the "Your Money or Your Life" book and it has me thinking quite a bit.* May help you.* Other people here will have better recos than me.*
Your Money or Your Life is a good read as far as expenditures are concerned. The Investment Advice of Buying 30 year Treasury Bonds kinda Sucks though.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:50 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all for the warm welcome, it feels good.

I have read a few books on the topic like Your Money or Your Life, Retire Wild and Free, and a few others I can't remmember right now.Wild and free made me feel more optimistic about this retirement thing.

Those who have known Gov. Employees that are or have retired know how big a deal it is for them. The "G" takes your mind over little by little sort of like being assimilated by the org. that had 7 of 9 on Star Trek II. You will be assimilated it is futile to resist.... or something like that. Well, I was assimulated and morphed, now I am about to make my escape-I will always wear the scars though. A late escape is better than no escape.

Has anyone here moved overseas if so where?
Kitty