Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, I am retired at 50 from Seattle.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi, I am retired at 50 from Seattle.

Retired wife at 50. Retired a year ago and trying to get the husband to retire now. I have explained over and over we have "enough" to finally retire. I think it is hard for hime to realize we don't need to save anymoe and we can finally "spend" some of what we have saved. He works 14 hours a day at a job he doesn't love and is so tired he just comes home and sleeps. Any thoughts on how to get him to consider retirement? Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #2

Welcome!

On getting your husband to "see the light" perhaps show him the numbers that it will work.

Perhaps I'm the wrong one to make suggestions as I did go back to work, but I do have my "KMA"* hat firmly in place. Several other people here are in the same position.

*Kiss My A--.

But 14-hour days? No way I'd do that since I have the choice.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome. One thing that definitely affected me was seeing people my age die suddenly without ever enjoying a day of retirement. You might highlight this to your DH whenever you see it happen.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If he doesn't think you have enough (perhaps wrongly) one possibility is to ask him what would be enough. That is what would make him comfortable retiring. Try to set up *now* what would be needed and try to work with him to make it something reasonable (hopefully achievable in a year or two -- not something that takes 20 years) and then write down what it is. Then when you get there tell him that he said that he would retire when you have X and now you have X. Doesn't mean he won't balk then but it might help.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
He works 14 hours a day at a job he doesn't love and is so tired he just comes home and sleeps. Any thoughts on how to get him to consider retirement?
If he thinks he's really not ready to retire, maybe you could try to get him to consider a step like finding a job he likes, reducing hours so he can do more than sleep outside of work, or even think about part-time work as a step towards future retirement. He may be a lot easier to convince when he's less stressed and exhausted by this crazy work situation.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #6

Does he respect "book" advice? You might try "Work Less, Live More" or something like that. Good luck!!!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
DW retired reluctantly in 2002. I said that I needed a travel companion. Even now, she would gladly do the work because she loved it. She is like a border collie without her herd of sheep.

She gets to organize our trips, and we have a number of quality endeavours that we share. One day we will hit upon the perfect formula.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Welcome. One thing that definitely affected me was seeing people my age die suddenly without ever enjoying a day of retirement. You might highlight this to your DH whenever you see it happen.
Ditto. Plus, in the five years before I ER'd, I saw one friend my age suffer a heart attack (and he was much slimmer and "healthier" than me) and another suffer a stroke. These are people I know personally. I saw many others on TV or in the news my age who were dying young for various reasons. "Life's too short" became my mantra.
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Ditto. Plus, in the five years before I ER'd, I saw one friend my age suffer a heart attack (and he was much slimmer and "healthier" than me) and another suffer a stroke. These are people I know personally. I saw many others on TV or in the news my age who were dying young for various reasons. "Life's too short" became my mantra.
I jsut noticed your "Seattle-ish"location. OP too. There are sure a lot of us slackers up here.

Ha
Old 05-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

You have to be patient. Sometimes a mans identity is closely tied to his ability to provide for his family. Even though he says he hates his job, maybe the satisfaction of getting a paycheck makes him feel much more like a man.

I know that I have kept a job I hated for over 8 years because the income it provided made me feel safe. That safety factor outweighed the hate for the job 1000:1.

As a side note, After many years of Marriage I finally figured out that you have to let the other half follow the path they choose. You shouldn't try to push your beliefs on your husband or visa versa. If you have trouble doing this just repeat this in your head when you get frustrated he is not on your path.

"I truly believe that he is doing what is best for him"
"His decisions are the right decisions for him"
or more generally
"I trust that people know what is best for them"
Old 05-27-2011, 01:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I jsut noticed your "Seattle-ish"location. OP too. There are sure a lot of us slackers up here.

Ha
Yeah rub it in...especially on a day when the sun is actually shining. Hit 61 degrees in Silverdale while running errands.

DD
Old 05-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Maybe he needs to see the plan. Have you created a financial plan?
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #13

Welcome. Why don't you go on a 6-month vacation and show him the pictures when you come back? Hopefully he will go with you next time.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

If your hubby is the typical few years older than you and he is working 14 hours a day, he needs to step back and look at what's going on. When you are in your 50's and working those kind of hours it is usually either because you are desperate for money, ie, starving, or because you love your job more than anything in the world. Your husband isn't broke and it doesn't sound like he loves his job.

It might be good for your relationship to try to get away for a few days or a long weekend and explore what drives him to work those kinds of hours. He definitely needs a better quality of life, especially if he doesn't have to work like that to make ends meet.
67walkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #15

I am semi retired and have been for about 5 years when I cut back to 30 hours/week. Two years ago I cut back again to just under 20 hours/week. I like the arrangement for now as I still get my health benefits. There is no longer any stress.

Perhaps he can find something P/T, or ask his current employer for Part Time.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Retired at 50
Old 06-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #16

Retired at 50

Thanks for your comment "freeatlast". We have been discussing the part time thing....but nothing as of yet. Guess it is a process. Patience is a viture I am trying to learn as we go along. Thanks to all who have posted. I appreciate your thoughts and advice.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #17

I've had some amazing jobs in my life. My best career, by far, has been retirement. Like travelover, we've also had friends our age pass away. For us, working forever was just not worth it. We have an comfortable retirement - more so because we don't have any debt.

As our grandson says, "this is more better!"
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Yeah rub it in...especially on a day when the sun is actually shining. Hit 61 degrees in Silverdale while running errands.

DD
Wow another Kitsap person! I live in Port Orchard, was almost up in your neck of the woods today. But opted to go to a local eatery rather then Silver City. Personally I rather like the rural nature of this side compared to the Seattle side. We should grab a beer sometime and compare retirement notes.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #19

Just ask him, how many people he knows in their dying bed wishing that they have another day in the office To my knowledge, the answer is ZERO.
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Welcome. One thing that definitely affected me was seeing people my age die suddenly without ever enjoying a day of retirement.
That was my motivation to retire at 47.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote