Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, I just retired
Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi, I just retired

I am not sure I am really happy about retiring, it has taken me about two weeks and now I am stir crazy and confused. I don't know what I really want to do next or where and if I want to move somewhere else or downsize from my current home. LOTS of questions I look forward to finding some help here.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome! Congrats on your retirement. Was this retirement date your own choosing?

Old 09-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #3

Yes and No. I had semi-retired and put new leadership in place. As the founder of a non-profit, keeping all of us on staff was just too much, so I jumped. The option was to resume my full time position which my retirement account didn't allow - only pays me if I work part time for the same organization. So, long story short, it happened sooner than I wanted.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #4

Retiremant adjustment

My experience has been that it takes a bit of adjusting. Maybe up to a year. Now I wonder how I ever had time to work. Do some things you always wished you could do. Follow your dreams to the extent you can. Read. Learn. Help someone else.

I've also noticed with numerous friends that retirement can sometimes be difficult on a marriage. Those types of things also seem to settle in in about a year.

Man, it sure beats that old daily grind of calls, regulations, emails, managing people, etc. It's a rat race I am glad to be out of. Good luck to you.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, a lot of people on this forum are wondering whether they can afford to retire. Knowing where you stand may help you decide whether you should downsize your home.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to a great forum. I'm only retired 4 months, of my choice of dates. I was a wreck at first, took 2 months to be able to sleep. For me I'm not making any big decisions in my first year. Still better than working, when I see local traffic, know I'd be sitting behind that wreck for the next hour or more, yea it's better.

MRG
Old 09-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife retired last month. The big difference is now she watches 8 hours a day of TV instead of 5.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #9

mchalkley18,

...next thing ya know, you're going wonder how you ever had time to work!
Old 09-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome! ---Nomad
Old 09-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wondered 'what will I do all day' before I retired. I thought I'd be plenty busy and engaged (and thankfully I have been so far), but as a compulsive planner, I wanted to think it through.

I found the Get-a-Life Tree exercise in How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free (Ernie Zelinski) to be very reassuring, you can buy or borrow the book from a library.

I've kept a bucket list since I was a out 30, and I retired with 68 items complete. The GALT exercise put another 50 new items on my future bucket list items. Maybe the exercise would help you too...best of luck.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations and welcome. I recommend spending time on this site browsing through the conversations that have taken place. Lots of great advice, viewpoints, straight talk. Good luck!

Retired at 59 1/2 and trying to stay that way.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:13 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Welcome! I always think that the advice of waiting at least a year after a major life change to make major decisions is good. Spend time dreaming about what you really want without the pressure to be in a hurry.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome, I retired (3) years ago at 50. I have recently found out I love camping. DH is still working and trying to decide if he wants to retire or not. We bought a little 17ft travel trailer and love going out and exploring. I fill my time volunteering at the community center working with the seniors. Now they are a group to inspire you. Good luck trying to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life. It is a blast so far for me!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

There are many volunteer opportunities out there.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalkley18 View Post
I am not sure I am really happy about retiring, it has taken me about two weeks and now I am stir crazy and confused. I don't know what I really want to do next or where and if I want to move somewhere else or downsize from my current home. LOTS of questions I look forward to finding some help here.
Did you feel the same stir crazy way when you took two weeks vacation while still working? Two weeks is not long enough to be questioning the viability of retirement IMO.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofworking2 View Post
mchalkley18,

...next thing ya know, you're going wonder how you ever had time to work!
+1 Welcome mchalkley18!
It took me a year to not feel weird going to the store when normally I was working. Except for going to church last Sunday it felt like any other day, I had to stop and think what day it was.... but then again it could just be old age.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

I love this board as there are so many people who feel just like i do...and,happily, so many who DO NOT. I am struggling right now, with 5 weeks into my ER. So wished,so planned...so needed..but now that i am in it...I am always thinking, 'now what do I do'....and have so many lists of things I think I need to do...so far, I am not loving the 'relaxation' phase...Hopefully,that will come. My dog is happy.

Tags
just retired, melody chalkley