Hi, I just retired

mchalkley18

Confused about dryer sheets
:greetings10:I am not sure I am really happy about retiring, it has taken me about two weeks and now I am stir crazy and confused. I don't know what I really want to do next or where and if I want to move somewhere else or downsize from my current home. LOTS of questions I look forward to finding some help here.

Yes and No. I had semi-retired and put new leadership in place. As the founder of a non-profit, keeping all of us on staff was just too much, so I jumped. The option was to resume my full time position which my retirement account didn't allow - only pays me if I work part time for the same organization. So, long story short, it happened sooner than I wanted.

Retiremant adjustment

My experience has been that it takes a bit of adjusting. Maybe up to a year. Now I wonder how I ever had time to work. Do some things you always wished you could do. Follow your dreams to the extent you can. Read. Learn. Help someone else.

I've also noticed with numerous friends that retirement can sometimes be difficult on a marriage. Those types of things also seem to settle in in about a year.

Man, it sure beats that old daily grind of calls, regulations, emails, managing people, etc. It's a rat race I am glad to be out of. Good luck to you.

Well, a lot of people on this forum are wondering whether they can afford to retire. Knowing where you stand may help you decide whether you should downsize your home.

Welcome to a great forum. I'm only retired 4 months, of my choice of dates. I was a wreck at first, took 2 months to be able to sleep. For me I'm not making any big decisions in my first year. Still better than working, when I see local traffic, know I'd be sitting behind that wreck for the next hour or more, yea it's better.

MRG

My wife retired last month. The big difference is now she watches 8 hours a day of TV instead of 5.

I wondered 'what will I do all day' before I retired. I thought I'd be plenty busy and engaged (and thankfully I have been so far), but as a compulsive planner, I wanted to think it through.

I found the Get-a-Life Tree exercise in How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free (Ernie Zelinski) to be very reassuring, you can buy or borrow the book from a library.

I've kept a bucket list since I was a out 30, and I retired with 68 items complete. The GALT exercise put another 50 new items on my future bucket list items. Maybe the exercise would help you too...best of luck.

Last edited:
Congratulations and welcome. I recommend spending time on this site browsing through the conversations that have taken place. Lots of great advice, viewpoints, straight talk. Good luck!

Welcome! I always think that the advice of waiting at least a year after a major life change to make major decisions is good. Spend time dreaming about what you really want without the pressure to be in a hurry.

Welcome, I retired (3) years ago at 50. I have recently found out I love camping. DH is still working and trying to decide if he wants to retire or not. We bought a little 17ft travel trailer and love going out and exploring. I fill my time volunteering at the community center working with the seniors. Now they are a group to inspire you. Good luck trying to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life. It is a blast so far for me!

:greetings10:I am not sure I am really happy about retiring, it has taken me about two weeks and now I am stir crazy and confused. I don't know what I really want to do next or where and if I want to move somewhere else or downsize from my current home. LOTS of questions I look forward to finding some help here.

Did you feel the same stir crazy way when you took two weeks vacation while still working? Two weeks is not long enough to be questioning the viability of retirement IMO.

mchalkley18,

...next thing ya know, you're going wonder how you ever had time to work! :)

+1 Welcome mchalkley18!
It took me a year to not feel weird going to the store when normally I was working. Except for going to church last Sunday it felt like any other day, I had to stop and think what day it was.... but then again it could just be old age. :LOL:

I love this board as there are so many people who feel just like i do...and,happily, so many who DO NOT. I am struggling right now, with 5 weeks into my ER. So wished,so planned...so needed..but now that i am in it...I am always thinking, 'now what do I do'....and have so many lists of things I think I need to do...so far, I am not loving the 'relaxation' phase...Hopefully,that will come. My dog is happy.

Back
Top Bottom