Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, I知 Patient Bear!
Old 06-23-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi, I知 Patient Bear!

Hi, I’m Patient Bear

I have been lurking here for a while. I like the place very much, hence I feel it is time I introduce myself. The name Patient Bear has nothing to do with the markets or my investing strategies; I saw the picture used for my avatar, liked it, and decided to make it my user name.

Anyway. Married, 55, looking to fire in 2-3 years. Class of 2016, or perhaps early 2017. Finances look pretty good already, but I want to make sure I fire once and only once! Plus, I have a son in college and he has two more years to go. Therefore I figure his graduation will be a good milestone. Kind of saying “My w*rk here is done; now I’m going fishing…. ”

Like most or you, I’m soooo tired of the w*rk routine, the conflicting goals, the ever changing initiatives and buzzwords. I used to like my work, but after all these years I am ready for a different lifestyle.

Firecalc says I’ll be fine, even with the Constant Spending Power button checked. Still trying to figure out a couple things about SS (I lived in Canada for part of my w*rk life) and about health insurance between 57 and 65, so if you have some good links on these topics feel free to share.

Nice to meet y’all !

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome to the forum. I live in the 4th snobbiest city as well.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

^ with me that makes three! I just heard about the 4th snobbiest city from my wife a few days ago.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Giving 2 more years until your son graduates seems a reasonable thing to do. You don't specify if your current expenses are fully covered by your assets, but it seems you are at least quite close.

Only suggestion I have is while you have a job to retire from, make sure you have something to retire to. even though current working may suck, it does give you social interaction and forces you to be out of the house and somewhat schedules your life. Going fishing is great, but will you do that every day?

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:46 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum! Couple of good things I can say about the OP -

1) Patient Bear user name has nothing to do with his view of the stock market philosophy.

2) Not one of those "long time lurker, can I retire with mega-millions I have?"

- Impatient Bull
Old 06-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome Patient Bear!

Here is a clip about your cousin, Hungry Bear (aka Yogi).

Bear raids freezer - YouTube
Old 06-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient Bear View Post
The name Patient Bear has nothing to do with the markets or my investing strategies; I saw the picture used for my avatar, liked it, and decided to make it my user name.
Despite your clarification, I think upon seeing your screen name, people will keep thinking you are a guy who got out of the market, has been sitting in cash, and still waiting for another crash to get back into the market.

May have to add something into your "About Me" page.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:08 PM   #8

Thank you for the welcome and for the good advice. I wish I had thought about using Yogi for my username. LOL!

Or perhaps it is taken already?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #9

Good thinkin on that name. Reminds me of another bear (baer).

Old 06-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi Bear View Post
Hi, I知 Patient Bear

I have been lurking here for a while. I like the place very much, hence I feel it is time I introduce myself. The name Patient Bear has nothing to do with the markets or my investing strategies; I saw the picture used for my avatar, liked it, and decided to make it my user name.

Anyway. Married, 55, looking to fire in 2-3 years. Class of 2016, or perhaps early 2017. Finances look pretty good already, but I want to make sure I fire once and only once! Plus, I have a son in college and he has two more years to go. Therefore I figure his graduation will be a good milestone. Kind of saying 溺y w*rk here is done; now I知 going fishing.

Like most or you, I知 soooo tired of the w*rk routine, the conflicting goals, the ever changing initiatives and buzzwords. I used to like my work, but after all these years I am ready for a different lifestyle.

Firecalc says I値l be fine, even with the Constant Spending Power button checked. Still trying to figure out a couple things about SS (I lived in Canada for part of my w*rk life) and about health insurance between 57 and 65, so if you have some good links on these topics feel free to share.

Nice to meet y誕ll !
With the generous assistance of W2R, my name is now Yogi Bear
Old 06-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Hi there, Yogi Bear!

I hope that you are still a patient investor (but not a bearish one).
Old 06-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi Bear View Post
With the generous assistance of W2R, my name is now Yogi Bear
I kind of like patient bear.

Certainy love the pic & poster!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Welcome, Yogi. No raiding the freezer, now!