Join Early Retirement Today

Hi I'm 50 yrs old and need advice
Old 06-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Do I have enough to retire? Hi, I'm Carlos and I'm 50 yrs old married with 2 kids. My wife is 43 yrs old and working in health business and brings in around 50k per yr. My job is very stressful but pays well with at least 400k. My eldest kid is starting in state university and will need annual tuition around 30k for 8 yrs (med school). My younger one is going though private school (6 yrs until university) at 20k per yr and 4 yrs of colleague at 25k per yr. To be safe I'm assuming 500k will be needed for their education.

We have a 600k house paid and 4.6M worth of assets plus 340k in 401k. The trick is if I retire 2 yrs from now we'll need to paid 20k per yr for health insurance until I'm 65. Having said that our life style is quite average, I believe without paying for education and health insurance we can live on 70-80k very comfortably.

My wife will continue working for 10 more yrs.

So what do you think? Do I have enough to retire soon if conditions force me? And what type of investment strategy should I adopt?

Thanks in advance and please ask any question you may have,

Carlos

cyuanwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Hi I'm 50 yrs old and need advise
Old 06-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi I'm 50 yrs old and need advise

You are golden to retire now if you want! Almost 5M investible asset so 2% will fetch you 100K. But 3%WR is almost 100% safe to have your money last forever. Hard to advise you on investment given limited info in your thread.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2020 View Post
You are golden to retire now if you want! Almost 5M investible asset so 2% will fetch you 100K. But 3%WR is almost 100% safe to have your money last forever. Hard to advise you on investment given limited info in your thread.

Thanks retire2020, I've been studying a lot and I'd like to use 2 to 2,5% WR if possible and hopefully leave some money for my kids in the far future. I'm thinking of going 40/60 stock/bond sort of strategy. Should I hire a money manager of just do it my on my own?

I'm always concerned about inflation and taxes to be able to use WR of 2.5%.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyuanwang View Post
Thanks retire2020, I've been studying a lot and I'd like to use 2 to 2,5% WR if possible and hopefully leave some money for my kids in the far future. I'm thinking of going 40/60 stock/bond sort of strategy. Should I hire a money manager of just do it my on my own?

I'm always concerned about inflation and taxes to be able to use WR of 2.5%.
In my case I have avoided using a FA simply because of fees associated with the products they offer. I use mostly index funds in my portfolio. If you consider the typical fees associated with management.....usually 1% of assets or more, you will be paying a hefty amount on that $4.6MM.
tdv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can retire a few years ago it seems. Don't pay for a FA, spend a couple weekends reading up on a 3-fund portfolio over at bogleheads wiki and invest your money yourself. A 2.5% WR, imo, is ridiculously conservative and practically guarantees giving your heirs much more money than you'll initially retire with when you depart this world.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #6

Welcome Carlos! If you haven't found them already, we have a helpful list of things to think about before you make the leap:

Some Important Questions to Answer

Most folks here would recommend using FIREcalc (link at bottom of each page here) and/or another retirement calculator to model your finances, and to have a good accounting of your expenses before pulling the plug. However, it does look like you're in pretty solid shape.

Also I would say that most here would be comfortable with a 40-60 AA and would DIY it with low-cost mutual funds or ETFs. There are plenty of resources to figure this out - Google "lazy portfolios" for some ideas.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv2 View Post
In my case I have avoided using a FA simply because of fees associated with the products they offer. I use mostly index funds in my portfolio. If you consider the typical fees associated with management.....usually 1% of assets or more, you will be paying a hefty amount on that $4.6MM.

I agree! Especially paying fee for FA on conservative and low yield investments doesn't make sense.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #8

If you retire this Friday, will your wife retire too?. If so , start planning the retirement party. you worked too long already.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Welcome Carlos! If you haven't found them already, we have a helpful list of things to think about before you make the leap:

Some Important Questions to Answer

Most folks here would recommend using FIREcalc (link at bottom of each page here) and/or another retirement calculator to model your finances, and to have a good accounting of your expenses before pulling the plug. However, it does look like you're in pretty solid shape.

Also I would say that most here would be comfortable with a 40-60 AA and would DIY it with low-cost mutual funds or ETFs. There are plenty of resources to figure this out - Google "lazy portfolios" for some ideas.

Thanks MB Austin, I will look into these tools. And I agree probably 60k will be enough I'm just trying to be conservative.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
If you retire this Friday, will your wife retire too?. If so , start planning the retirement party. you worked too long already.

Haha, I think she will work ten more yrs and try to get her social security eligibility done. Beside she loves her work.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Haha, I think she will work ten more yrs and try to get her social security eligibility done. Beside she loves her work.
Then Sir, you need to think will you be happy at home waiting for her to return after a days work. But financially your set. Live long ,be happy and healthy, enjoy, you earned it.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 06-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Then Sir, you need to think will you be happy at home waiting for her to return after a days work. But financially your set. Live long ,be happy and healthy, enjoy, you earned it.

I believe there are plenty of things I can do besides work and I can always drive there to have lunch with her!
Old 06-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Trouble with people that make a lots of money is that they do NOT want to or know how to quit. Why quit when you still can bring in another $200k+ a year? they will always face with "another year" syndrome. I think Carlos will be around the office many years to come.

I bet my lunch money that Carlos will ask "Do I have enough to retire?" again in 5 years. How many people ask this kind of question when they already have $5M? :-) Welcome to the club Carlos and congrats on your success.
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

You have more than enough. Only detail that wasn't mentioned was Healthcare...is family covered under you or your wife? Although you certainly can afford HI, if it requires changing coverage through your employers, you may need to look at the timing to make sure everyone is covered.
evilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #15

Quote:
I believe there are plenty of things I can do besides work and I can always drive there to have lunch with her!
Awesome your ready!
Old 06-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilanne View Post
You have more than enough. Only detail that wasn't mentioned was Healthcare...is family covered under you or your wife? Although you certainly can afford HI, if it requires changing coverage through your employers, you may need to look at the timing to make sure everyone is covered.

Thanks evilanne, healthcare is under me and my wife's professional usually the employer won't offer this type of benefit. That's why I mentioned that I will most likely have to pay for insurance from retirement until I'm 65 yrs old at 20k per yr. Heath care is one of my major concern after my kids college fees.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
Trouble with people that make a lots of money is that they do NOT want to or know how to quit. Why quit when you still can bring in another $200k+ a year? they will always face with "another year" syndrome. I think Carlos will be around the office many years to come.

I bet my lunch money that Carlos will ask "Do I have enough to retire?" again in 5 years. How many people ask this kind of question when they already have $5M? :-) Welcome to the club Carlos and congrats on your success.

Thanks Enuff2Eat, fortunately I'm not this kind, the thing is I'm always too conservative when dealing with money, it is in my genes of immigrants that have heard too much hardship due to lack of money from my families.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

As others mentioned No to FA. Go to bogglehead wiki and read some books they suggest and you will be good to manage money on your own. In your case your FA may charge you 1% to manage and thats a whopping 50K going to him from your hard earned money....You will be funding his retirement not yours... Remember your wife works for a whole year to earn 50K where as this FA will sweet talk to you and rob you of that 50k by spending 5hrs a yr with you.

However if you still prefer FA then hire a low cost one who charges you flat fee regardless of your asset. I've one whom I pay 2500/yr who is basically for a second opinion to double check my approach and gets me access to DFA funds. If you want more details, pm me and I will give you their info.
Relax and Enjoy your life. You've earned it. I am also an immigrant so I know how you feel and your anxiety!
Old 06-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thanks Enuff2Eat, fortunately I'm not this kind, the thing is I'm always too conservative when dealing with money, it is in my genes of immigrants that have heard too much hardship due to lack of money from my families.
cyuanwang, I apology for being rude. I know many people, myself included all have "another year" syndrome". I went to a funeral over the 3 weekend ago. It was a colleague of my. Passed at 62 and retired at 61.

His last year was in and out of hospital. For some reason, we all tell ourselves ... just need a few more years.
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:55 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

What are you waiting for? Go live your life. Congrats on being able to move forward...if you want.

kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote