Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, I'm caninelover and would like to learn from all you fine folks.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi, I'm caninelover and would like to learn from all you fine folks.

So here is my first post! I'm glad I found this place, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and am ready to jump in. I've already found a lot of really good information, and hope to learn even more.

I am 37 and single/no kids, prefer to stay that way. My desired retirement age is 55. I currently make between $115K-$125K per year (depending on bonus). I have $200K saved in my 401k, invested aggressively 90% stocks/10% fixed income. There is also a Roth IRA with $8K, plus $45k (about a year's expenses) in cash, mostly in VG money market funds. On the debt side, I have a mortgage with $200k/15 years fixed at 5.5% left on it so it should be paid off when I'm 52. I also have $40k left from grad school student loans, fixed at 4.25%. No other debt.

That's it...I look forward to second post
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #2

Welcome! So, what kind of dog(s) do you have?
Old 06-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

With a name like that you're going to have to give us a lot more information about those canines (unless you're a dentist haha)--and photos would be nice too
Old 06-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #4

Actually...currently, none. The name is still true...I lost my beloved 11 year old golden retriever two years ago, and still haven't felt ready for a new pooch. Someday...

Thanks for the welcome
Old 06-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome. Yes, do tell us about the canines. I have always had a dog, currently have a pug(Lucky) rescued from the shelter a couple of years ago. I would also like to add a cat or two but my son is allergic, and I do enjoy his visits home every once in awhile. I did a garden tour on Sunday and if what I encountered in the way of dog breeds is any indication of a trend, the Cavalier King Charles spaniel is the hot breed to have. Saw a pair of them at one place and singletons at two other homes.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninelover View Post
Actually...currently, none. The name is still true...I lost my beloved 11 year old golden retriever two years ago, and still haven't felt ready for a new pooch. Someday...

Thanks for the welcome
Welcome! Golden retriever owner here. Might as well go ahead and get another one. Tough to see them go......but they are such good companions. I know I will get another when my good friend departs. I guess I shouldn't assume I'm going to out live her.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

CL, it has been two years since our last dog died too and I miss her every day. I think this fall I'll have to remedy that.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #8

Dawg, I hear you...they are awesome. I love their happy personalities. Eventually I will probably get either a Golden or a Lab. Although WhoDares, those Cavaliers are awfully cute too!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #9

caninelover, welcome to the forum. You'll get another dog. My wife and I married 37 years ago and we have always had dogs in our lives and in our childrens lives. It seems to grow on you and the family. My daughter now has six dogs, all the way from Chihuahua's to a German Shepard. Since 1995 we have had a Maltese and a Chihuahua. Around Thanksgiving last year the little Chihuahua Sadie (my wife's dog) got some kind of sickness and just died in my her arms. The Maltese Lucy, my dog hung in there until the first of the year. She was so lonesome and didn't have Sadie to lead her around and tell her every move to make, that she just got sick kind of gave up. We had to have her put to sleep the first of the year. We both cried our eyes out and we still miss them. However, our daughter, the great dog lover
without telling us went our and bought us another Chihuahua. We named her Dixie and she is giving us fits. We love her but she is a different kind of dog. Time will tell if she fills our needs.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #10

Welcome, CanineLover. Lots of good information & advice on this board, so feel free to ask any questions..about any topic.

As for the canine part, I've had dogs (and cats) my whole life. As I write this, my daughter's border collie/shepherd mix is sleeping on my feet, while my pug/beagle (yup, puggle) is apparently having a running dream as her feet are moving around as she sleeps on the sofa next to me, and our black lab is spread out on the other sofa. Unfortunately, our 17 year old cat recently passed away, and we all (including the dogs) miss her greatly.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

It has always been a mistake for us to try and replace the dog we had just lost. Breed aside, they are like people - individual personalities. Last time we went shopping for a little cockapoo type mutt, and ended up with a Doberman.

Long story short, Sophie was the best dog we ever had. She's gone now, and we have taken a 2 1/2 year break from dogs; too hard to lose.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #12

Here was my girl, lounging on her favorite couch...she was a good dog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0033.jpg (534.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-17-2009, 05:06 AM   #13

We have a Belgium Shepherd. Too fat, too pampered, too mistress of the house. But she is a darling. Very social and eager to be with us and not left alone. In a few weeks we are going for a 3 day trip to London. Leaving her with my son. But even so I´m worried because I know she´ll gonna miss us, no matter how much attention my son pays to her.
As for the passing away of our pets....I must confess a terrible secret: I´ve lost a wife, a father and a mother in law. All of whom I loved and got along superbly with. Didn´t shed a tear when they died. 2 years ago it was the turn of my cocker spaniel -grumpy and not particularly affectionate-and I wept.
Terrible, isn´t it.
I fear the dying of my current dog.....
Old 06-17-2009, 06:33 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

CL-

My wife and I were absolute wrecks while seeing Marley and Me on video.

Our dog, age 2, and our son, age 1, didn't know what was wrong with us...

Welcome to the forum.

-LB
leftbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome to the forum