Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, I'm Chris and looking to retire in 20 years.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi, I'm Chris and looking to retire in 20 years.

I am fairly new to this website but not to saving. In the late 90's early 2000's I played the stock market and lost most all of it, what remained I used as a down payment on my first house. Now my retirement savings lie entirely in my 401k...about $115k. It's not alot but I add about $15k a year.

The wife is in the NYS teachers union and will get a pension when she finishes. In her case we'll do 20 and done (or whatever the minimum is, sadly I don't know much about the NYS pension system for teachers except what she pays in, which makes it hard for me to figure out what we'll get out).

I did 6 years in the military, 4 as a nuke on a Sub in Hawaii. Which is the place I would like to retire. Still need to get the wife intersted in moving back though.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Great that you got your ship righted in time to start saving again after a turbulent couple of decades. Salute you for your service! Hope all works out for you and the wifey. 20 years is a nice long time to build up a sweet nest egg!
GD

Old 02-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christrong View Post
I am fairly new to this website but not to saving. In the late 90's early 2000's I played the stock market and lost most all of it, what remained I used as a down payment on my first house. Now my retirement savings lie entirely in my 401k...about $115k. It's not alot but I add about $15k a year.
One key is chosing the right investments in a 401K.

I believe in index funds.

Bogleheads
Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome aboard, Chris.

Nords (another poster here) was a nuke, too.

omni
Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #5

Welcome Chris ! You have a long time to save. 20 years is a long time so you're definitely on the right track. Keep your tastes humble and you'll do fine.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum, Chris.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks...In the tech bubble I was all indivisual stocks...learned that lesson. But now that I have started setting money aside again, I have a lot to learn. Can anyone recommend some site that really makes learning the basics easy? As an example I get what an index fund is, but I don't get the difference between a short term bond fund and an intermediate one. Or even how they make money. One in my 401k says it went up 10% last year, but the price never changed (I'm guessing reinvested dividends, but IDRK).
Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by christrong View Post
Can anyone recommend some site that really makes learning the basics easy? As an example I get what an index fund is, but I don't get the difference between a short term bond fund and an intermediate one. Or even how they make money. One in my 401k says it went up 10% last year, but the price never changed (I'm guessing reinvested dividends, but IDRK).
Welcome aboard.

As for a good place to 'learn the basics easy,' the Bogleheads wiki link above in post #3 is about as good as it gets for a solid place to start. I'd recommend it too...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #9

Hi,Chris!
Saving & investing over 20yrs should serve you well.