Join Early Retirement Today

Hi I'm galeno
Old 11-29-2002, 02:04 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi I'm galeno

I'm probably infamous to some of the regulars from the REHP board on TMF, but I should introduce myself to the new members that haven't seen me on the MF message boards.

I retired in 1995 at age 38 after working almost 14 years as a private practice physician in Costa Rica. I have a MD from UCIMED medical school in Costa Rica and I did my internal medicine speciality at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in NYC. I also have a MBA degree from INCAE business school in Costa Rica.

I started my quest to FIRE in 1982 by investing 20% of my gross monthly salary into Frank Russel offshore index mutual funds. I was paying an offshore bank a 1% gatekeeper fee to get into these funds. At the end of 1994, I switched to individual stocks with the idea of improving my CAGR and lowering my investment expenses of 1.5% per year. So far this strategy switch has been successful as I have beaten the S&P500 by 6% per year over the last 8 years. My risk adjusted return (as measured by the Sharpe ratio) also beats the S&P500's Sharpe ratio.

I'm married with four children aged 5 to 15. I currently live in Alajuela, Costa Rica.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hi I'm galeno
Old 11-30-2002, 01:21 AM   #2
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Welcome, Galeno!

Are you still following the withdrawal process you described a couple of years ago on TMF? It was quite interesting to me at the time -- I bet readers here would like to read about it!

For folks here who haven't read Galeno's writings in the past -- he's certainly responsible for more than a few folks considering relocating to Costa Rica for retirement!

Dory36

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 03:35 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes I am following the same mechanical withdrawal plan. In short, it goes like this:

FI = 25%
2y living expenses in MMF
2y living expenses in 2y CD (maturing in 1y)
2y living expenses in 2y CD (maturing in 2y)

Stocks = 75%

At the end of the year I sell 4% of the value of my stock portfolio and buy a 2y CD. I let half of the maturing 2y CDs go to MMF and I buy another 2y CD with the other half. I then divide the entire FI balance by 72 and that's my monthly draw for the year. At year end, I repeat the process.

Even with this three year bear market, my monthly FIRE income fluctuates very little thanks to my FI buffer. It's a similar approach to intercst's inflation adjusted withdrawals but slightly different in that I let the long term growth of my stock portfolio indirectly take care of any inflation or deflation in the economy.

Old 12-12-2002, 07:27 AM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Are there any calculators or discussion about being able to figure annual withdrawals if you do not want to have any money left when you pass to the great beyond?
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 11:07 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

The way I understand it, the safe withdrawal calculators include some historical periods where your assets would have been depleted to near zero at the end of the selected term. There does not seem to be any way to safely increase withdrawal rate. To be sure that your money will not run out, you have to take the risk that some will be left over, since no one knows for sure when they will die. If your assets do significantly increase, you can take the safe withdrawal percentage of the larger portfolio. Of course, older people who buy annuities can sometimes increase the percentage of the initial portfolio spent each year. However, you will then be at risk if the insurance company goes out of business, and give up any hope of substantially increased withdrawals from a larger asset base in the distant future.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 04:34 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

The only way to ensure you won't have any money left when you die is to buy a life annuity. The the insurance company gets the big pot of cash at the end of the rainbow.

intercst
Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm still using a 60/30/10 portfolio with a 3% AWR.
galeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by galeno View Post
I'm still using a 60/30/10 portfolio with a 3% AWR.

Galeno !! glad to see you are still happily retired. I am not sure if you remember me from REHP.

I am 80/10/10 FYI..
Got to get down and visit Costa Rica one of these days.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome, OP. I am more conservative with my investments. Turning 48 this year. Would love to visit Costa Rica. :-)
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #10

Wow! This is like the old days on TMF REHP - galeno, dory36, intercst, clifp.

I have since changed my screen name but used to post as jtmitch on TMF before it went so political.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #11

OK guys - newbie here. What does the anacronym TMF REHP stand for?
Golden sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The Motley Fool & The Retire Early Home Page.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome....

So, how is Costa Rico? This is one of the places that my DW is interested in retiring.... It would be nice to get a true rundown from a native...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #14

Ahhh yes Galeno. I rem well from TMF and your income smoothing strategy. In fact I modeled it years ago via excel and look at it often. From what I rem you were setting on the beach trying to keep the sand out of your laptop. Glad to see you surface here!

JDARNELL
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Wow! This is like the old days on TMF REHP - galeno, dory36, intercst, clifp.

I have since changed my screen name but used to post as jtmitch on TMF before it went so political.
I also remember the TMF and diehards board days, happy to see the old folks posting, must mean we were/are doing something right. Really, it is nice to see different investment and withdrawal systems tested under real life conditions.

Just so we don't see the H0cu& person, may he never retire.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #16

Thanks for answering my question about withdrawals here
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1108651
and welcome back.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
I also remember the TMF and diehards board days, happy to see the old folks posting, must mean we were/are doing something right. Really, it is nice to see different investment and withdrawal systems tested under real life conditions.

Just so we don't see the H0cu& person, may he never retire.
Just for the record, I don't want to get into *****-bashing, but his name came up in my house just yesterday.
My daughter is a writer. She is now writing novels but spent quite a few years doing freelance writing for various magazines to which she sold her articles. I don't remember the details but quite a few years ago she somehow - probably through an on-line connection - ran across ***** and actually interviewed him as an "expert" for an article she wrote. He sent her a copy of his book as a result. She gave the book to me.

As we are moving, we are tying to cull our possessions, books being the heaviest things to get rid of. We have 3 piles - donate to the local library, try to resell and recycle because the books don't fit either of the first two categories. My wife looked at the book and said she thought it looked like it might be worth trying to sell. I'm sorry to say that the ***** book ended up in pile #3.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Glad things are working out for you. 38 is a very early age to retire. I was just in Jaco for second time. Will most likely be back in Oct.
katwillny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
gone traveling

Welcome back oldtimer!
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Just for the record, I don't want to get into *****-bashing, but his name came up in my house just yesterday.
My daughter is a writer. She is now writing novels but spent quite a few years doing freelance writing for various magazines to which she sold her articles. I don't remember the details but quite a few years ago she somehow - probably through an on-line connection - ran across ***** and actually interviewed him as an "expert" for an article she wrote. He sent her a copy of his book as a result. She gave the book to me.

As we are moving, we are tying to cull our possessions, books being the heaviest things to get rid of. We have 3 piles - donate to the local library, try to resell and recycle because the books don't fit either of the first two categories. My wife looked at the book and said she thought it looked like it might be worth trying to sell. I'm sorry to say that the ***** book ended up in pile #3.
You might consider donating it to someone who has an outhouse and is short on catalogs and corn cobs.