Hi, I'm jj

The guy i voted for lost the last election.
Jarhead, I'm surprised, but you've restored my faith in humanity  :)    The last election was largely about values.    Tolerance, nationalism, religion, and xenophobia are all issues that the current administration has forced each of us to consider.

Frankly, I never saw anything from Hyperborea that offended my sensibilities at all.    Perhaps that's because I value constructive crtiicism and rational discourse over nationalism and dogma.

I guess I could understand your disatisifcation with anybody who keeps belaboring the same point over and over again, and there is at least one person who posts here that fits that description, but it ain't Hyperborea....

Frankly, I never saw anything from Hyperborea that offended my sensibilities at all.    Perhaps that's because I value constructive crtiicism and rational discourse over nationalism and dogma.

Passion.... such a double edged sword.  

I'm very proud of where I live, be it Iowa/USA/etc.  I can see how it could be construed as biting the hand that feeds you.  I guess my first question towards Hyper would be "If that's how you feel about our country here, what are you doing about it?  Are you attempting to make it better within your power to do so?  I hope so.  If you're here to take the $$ and run, bitching in the meantime... then I'm sure there's a plane somewhere willing to take you back to where you came from."

I guess the context is just as important as the content.

I am a young whippersnapper, but I was given a father that was born in the late twenties and a mother born in the late forties.  Talk about different generations... hooey.  I can relate to both sides of the issue.  Some things make me want to pull my damn hair out.  Others make me swell with pride.  We just have to be careful for the passion.

Jane wrote "If a non-Canadian comes to Canada for work and then point out to me the holes in our government policy, I don't consider him/her rude at all. " and "I have never understand people who can't stand other people to criticize their government, country, or looks or proffesion or religion, etc, etc. "

Mikey wrote "and badmouth it where I could be overheard by the natives. It just isn't polite. And, by my judgment, Hyper isn't polite when he does this. He does have interesting and possibly useful things to say. "

Chuck-lyn wrote " I have nothing against
fair criticism if it is balanced occasionally with
positive comments. "

It isn't always what someone says that bothers folks (Canadian or not) - it's how it's said or, maybe, how often it's said. There's a big difference between a discussion being objective and one that's filled with harsh criticism. In my opinion, a lot of Hyperborea's posts are edgy and often rude. I find it refreshing that someone takes him to task over the criticism in his posts.

JJ, I hope you found the info you were looking for.

Kind Regards to all,

Chris

Hmmm, I'm not sure what you want here - some sort of kowtow to the emperor?  Some statement that the US has overthrown democratically elected governments around the world but that's ok cause it was all done for a better purpose?

Hyperborea:

Let's see if I've got this right. You're from Canada, in your 30's, making enough in the Bay Area of Calif. to retire in 7 years. At which time, you will take retirement portfolio and move out of the U.S.
Until then, you will spend a good deal of your time on an internet board complaining to any one that will listen to you about the U.S. and their policies. (Actually, it's like shooting fish in a barrel to pick out bad points about any country).
Hard to believe that anyone would find that objectionable ;)

Hyper for President! :D

Oh, no!!..............You have to be born in the USA to qualify! :'(

What!! You mean they're not going to change the rules for Arnie?

jj

Until then, you will spend a good deal of your time on an internet board complaining to any one that will listen to you about the U.S. and their policies.

Actually, I wouldn't classify the amount of time I spend here as a "good deal" of my time (I do "pop" in and out regularly but then I'm on the computer a fair bit for work and other things too).  Second, I'm not in general making random complaints about the US and/or it's policies.  I have responded to some other's posts when the issue was brought up or the comment was incredibly pertinent to the topic at hand (i.e. the expatriation tax above) but I don't think that I have initiated any such threads.

It's also not as if any of my comments have not been factual or directly tied to the facts.  Any of those comments could have (and are) made by Americans too - I could have one of my American friends sign up and they would make similar comments.  Though I suppose that those trying to "shout me down" by making personal attacks rather than addressing the issue would just find some other personal reason to "shout them down" too.  If you look back at their posts you'll find none of them has even addressed the original comment only made personal attacks.

Finally, on the question raised by bow-tie of "Are you attempting to make it better within your power to do so?"  I wonder why he or others have never asked this of John Galt when goes on about the beauty of Randian philosophy while still basing his whole retirement on the collection of social security or ex-Jarhead when he suggests that the Kaderlis or the Terhorsts are morally corrupt for being childless?  I'd be very surprised if the "shouters" contribute to anything more than their spiritual social club.

If it make you feel any happier then I'll tell you.  Yes, I do.  I donate multiple thousands of dollars a year to charities which I believe in and which are working at making the world a better place (few to none of which I'm sure Bush or the "shouters" would approve of since none of them makes it their primary focus to provide bibles to starving villagers).  My wife and I both also donate our time to a variety of causes though this is more sporadic.  Do you also need notarized copies of my tax returns?

N.B. Edited Dec. 5th 12 noon PST to expand upon the answer somewhat.

. . . It's also not as if any of my comments have not been factual or directly tied to the facts.  Any of those comments could have (and are) made by Americans too - I could have one of my American friends sign up and they would make similar comments.  Though I suppose that those trying to "shout me down" by making personal attacks rather addressing the issue would just find some other personal reason to "shout them down" too.  If you look back at their posts you'll find none of them has even addressed the original comment only made personal attacks.

. . .

I enjoy reading your posts, Hyper.  

There appears to me to be a decreasing number of posts about quantifiable financial matters, or discussions of how social issues affect those matters on these boards.  In contrast there appears to be an increasing number of posts that talk about personal feelings, personal values, spritual uplift or other warm fuzzy issues.  I think you tend to discuss more of the former type of issues and I value that.

It's not that I don't have strong feelings, fiercely held values or am devoid of spirit . . . but at the age of 50, I have pretty much settled on who I am and am very comfortable with that.  If I did need validation of my views, I have friends and family that are more important sounding boards for those kinds of issues than a group of early retirees who I have never met.  On the other hand, the financial world is complex and ever changing.  I appreciate the extra sets of eyes and minds looking after these changes and sharing their experiences.

Anyway . . . I know it can be disapointing when several posters who don't even know you decide to condemn your posts by hypothesizing that you must have some kind of personal deficiency -- or because you are too stupid to see things their way.  

I hope you don't become too discouraged and that you keep posting.   :)

I hope you don't become too discouraged and that you keep posting.   :)

I agree. And I also challenge anyone, whatever their nationality/etc, to the rhetorical question 'what are they doing about it?' if they see deficiencies in our nation. Although that's a long uphill battle, it's definitely worth it.

Back
Top Bottom