Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, I'm just retired and neglected to introduce myself in 2012
Old 08-28-2017, 04:33 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi, I'm just retired and neglected to introduce myself in 2012

Much thanks to this forum and its members, although you likely caused us to delay a year or two!

DW (OBG) and I (commercial litigator) came to the end of our two years' notice and left our workplaces on 7/28 at 57/56 (aka, "early" for everywhere other than this forum). Today is the first time I've had the opportunity to post--life sure is busy without the distractions from work.

We are embarking upon a very travelcentric retirement to make up for the lost years and are currently near the end of what DW terms "boot camp" in preparation for our September and October in Peru. Combination of backpacker travel and fine dining with a couple of pricey/cushy expeditions. All in all, the 7-10 mile daily hikes with 5Kg packs should be good for us, I think.

Still waiting for the days with time to sit and read--which is one of the things we've been anticipating.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations!

Any destination planned in Peru? We were in Cusco and Inca trails are amazing.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:46 PM   #3

Congratulations and enjoy your travels!
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

congrats.

My Brother and Niece completed the hike up to Machu Picchu in April. Not for the average hiker....
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations and best wishes!
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountry View Post
Congratulations!

Any destination planned in Peru? We were in Cusco and Inca trails are amazing.
We are spending first week in Lima; have reservations at a couple of very nice restaurants and intend to sample the food scene from top to bottom.

Then, travel by bus (cruz del sur?) for approximately a week, with final destination of Titicaca.

Air to Cusco, then 7 day lodge-to-lodge salkantay trek, including Machu Picchu. Seven or so additional days in Cusco for Sacred Valley and a day trek for Rainbow Mountain.

After that, we have tentative reservations for the amazon side of the Andes in the Manu area (may have to change these, as we are only ones committed with our outfitter right now). We will do this area--just don't know with whom or how yet....

After that, probably heading to the Northeast for more amazonia, including an effort to see pink dolphins. Then, back to Lima and explore regions north along the coast, including the truly ancient ruins. Last month is pretty flexible still.

Been interesting getting ready for it; all shots/pills done, but DW still needs her retirement haircut to ensure that we can do it all with carry-on backpacks.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
congrats.

My Brother and Niece completed the hike up to Machu Picchu in April. Not for the average hiker....
Capjak, did they do the true inca trail or Salkantay--and did they do Huayna Picchu? How did they compare it to, say, the Mist Trail in Yosemite? [e.t.a.--i.e., hardest day of Machu Picchu hike compared to the half-day Mist Hike to Nevada Falls and back.]
Old 08-28-2017, 05:25 PM   #8

You should be super thankful for a spouse that is interested in the same kind of travel as you. My spouse never travels without a dedicated shoe suitcase.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
You should be super thankful for a spouse that is interested in the same kind of travel as you.
More the converse: Oversimplifying, she plans/goes and I follow.

Quote:
My spouse never travels without a dedicated shoe suitcase.
We were joking about shoes today when we test-packed our bags--she is taking three pairs in addition to wearing her hiking boots, which I thought was outlandish. As she pointed out though, I have plenty of room in my backpack for her camera lens and laptop/notebook, which enables the shoes.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #10

Quote:
You should be super thankful for a spouse that is interested in the same kind of travel as you. My spouse never travels without a dedicated shoe suitcase.
Didn't know my DW had a sister.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Hahahahah
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:32 PM   #12

We had a great time eating in Lima. We booked a combo culinary tour with
http://www.limagourmetcompany.com
We toured from noon until about 10:30 PM
It is described in our South American trip story at
http://stevekathytravels.com/sitebui...merica2014.pdf
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Much thanks to this forum and its members, although you likely caused us to delay a year or two!
Im glad you pulled the plug. The 1 or 2 year delay hopefully gave you 2 enough of a peace of mind cushion so that you can enjoy your well deserved retirement. Keep us posted on your adventures.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #14

Congrats!! Enjoy the trip.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:36 AM   #15

Congratulation! Sounds like it will be an awesome trip!
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #16

What a great trip! Glad you are preparing as the altitude and rugged terrain are challenging for the itinerary you have developed.

I spent two weeks in June on an organized tour (not nearly as challenging). A few recommendations:
- Sacred Valley: Pisac is overrated, not worth the time. Maras salt ponds and Moray terraces are underrated and worth a full day between them. We had a fabulous lunch at Chinchero La Casa de Barro Lodge - Restaurante & Bar Chinchero, Valle Sagrado, Sacred Valley, Chinchero in Chinchero (it is also a small inn that looks very charming).
- In the Amazon, we stayed at Explorama's Ceiba Tops Lodge (about 1 hour boat trip from Iquitos). It's considered a "luxury" lodge for the Amazon (which means flush toilets, showers, and air conditioned rooms, vs. open-air with mosquito nets and pit toilets which is the norm). Highly recommend Explorama whichever type of accommodation you prefer - excellent on-site guides well versed in the flora and fauna.

Have a great trip!
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #17

Quote:
More the converse: Oversimplifying, she plans/goes and I follow.
Even BETTER! In my case, neither of us like to plan trips. I do it, or we wouldn't end up going anywhere.

I still have plenty to be thankful for: she and I do have plenty of common travel interests and we have a great time once we get going.

She's up there packing right now, and I don't have the heart to tell her it's 20kg max instead of the usual 50 pound max. I'm skeerd to tell her.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #18

Quote:

She's up there packing right now, and I don't have the heart to tell her it's 20kg max instead of the usual 50 pound max. I'm skeerd to tell her.

Hmmmm. Which two pairs of shoes [emoji151] to leave home; what a quandary!
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:46 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Hahahahahahaha. There did I win?
Old 08-29-2017, 03:21 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Been interesting getting ready for it; all shots/pills done, but DW still needs her retirement haircut to ensure that we can do it all with carry-on backpacks.
I assume you mean yellow fever shot.

One thing I would suggest is to bring non-cotton clothes. You can easily wash them yourselves at hotels. Anyway the local dryers are not powerful enough.

Have a great trip and come back to report it.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote