Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, I'm Otis
Old 02-06-2005, 04:03 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hi, I'm Otis

Have been here a few weeks and realized that I've never done a formal introduction.

My real name is Andy. I've been known in various places as Otis since about 1992, so I answer to that as well. I'm an Indiana boy, born and raise. Still live within 100 miles from my hometown. Work has let me travel around the country a bit, and although there's prettier places to live (I'm especially fond of Colorado), my family isn't there, and we spend a great deal of our spare time with my parents, in-laws, brothers, etc. As mentioned in a previous post, I hate the winters in Indiana ... too much mud and gray skies. I'd rather move North where there's snow that stays for awhile (versus the bouncing we do between 20 degrees and 40 degrees for weeks on end), or South to where it isn't an issue. I prefer the colder climates, so North will probably be the eventual choice.

I'm 30 years old, and am a middle manager (section head) for one of the big 5 defense contractors. I'm possibly the youngest person to get my position in recent memory ... a few years back, you had to wait for your boss to retire or die for there to be an opening in management. I've had a couple of good mentors during my time there, which has helped me be in the right place at the right time for promotions. Most of the guys with my title/rank are old enough to be my father.

I'm a mechanical engineer by training and am about to finish a master's degree (Masters of Science, Engineering Management, company paid for). My wife has a computer science degree and also works for the defense dept developing financial databases.

We graduated college with significant debt, and if I could do it over again, I'd have lived with my parents a year or more and paid off Mr. Visa. (Note to parents out there, when your kids come home from college, and would like to live w/ you a bit, give them chores but don't treat them like they're still in high school).

Over the past 18 months we've been killing some of our bills. This year, we should turn the corner and begin putting away more into savings/investments than we're paying out to debt. The goal is to do "something different" in 10 years. That may mean I mow lawns for a living, it may mean I'm a charter boat captain, it may mean I stay home and watch the Smurfs and The Price is Right. Right now we don't know exactly what it means, other than we want to be FI enough to tell 'the man' where to stick it.

I've been influenced over the past couple years by certain books/movies ... it's an odd list ... The Millionaire Mind, Fight Club, The Matrix (it's all about control, and choice)., Good Will Hunting. I've even picked up a copy of Walden Pond recently.

My dream is to own a small fishing resort in middle Michigan that my family has been visiting for the past 25 or so years. It'll be a tough place to make a fortune, but an entirely enjoyable way to spend an early retirement. It sells about every 10 years, and was bought just last year. The timing just might be about right.

So that's me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hi, I'm Otis
Old 02-06-2005, 06:37 AM   #2

Hello Otis. I hope you are elevated by our site.

JG
Old 02-06-2005, 06:40 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

JG

So far it's been great. For awhile I've felt like I was the only one around with this "crazy idea" that you don't have to work until you're 95 and pay 99% of your paycheck to Uncle Sam, Visa, and the bank for all the great stuff you own.

Then I found this site, was like a breath of fresh air.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote]

work until you're 95 and pay 99% of your paycheck to Uncle Sam, Visa, and the bank for all the great stuff you own.

quote]

EWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!
indymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:47 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OTIS! My man!!!!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 08:48 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

JG
Oh man John, thats a good one. Had I not had Otis Elevator as one of my customers back in my New England days I might have missed it...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:34 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:

Oh man John, thats a good one. Had I not had Otis Elevator as one of my customers back in my New England days I might have missed it...

You know, I live about an hour from where Otis elevators are built, and I didn't get it until TH posted this a few days back. Have been trying to think of something witty ... but oh well.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:46 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Clever sayings can be tough when you're brain isnt going up. Push the stop button and think it over for a while. As long as you can keep from going down you're all set. Just make sure some jerk doesnt push all your buttons. Theres always an escape hatch. Just hanging from a wire. I'm not alarmed.

You know, you make me wanna shout?
Old 02-13-2005, 01:51 PM   #9

This has got to be a CHP, right?

JG
Old 02-13-2005, 03:35 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Not even a little bit. Thinking about the next hour as a good candidate for a happy hour though...