Join Early Retirement Today

Hi, I'm Saiad
Old 12-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi, I'm Saiad

Hi all, I've been reading a lot of /r/personalfinance and /r/financialindependence and /r/leanfire

Have been making a plan to stick to and will probably be posting / reading / browsing this site as much as possible (free time).

I'm 21 and I moved to Washington November ~23-24 one of those days, made the move with a very small amount ($500), have been thinking a lot about life and the general advice given to me about what i should do (invest in potential talent , etc etc) but that's the advice every on gives and really I just want to stop working before 30 so I'm still able to enjoy life (don't get me wrong, i enjoy every second of it and will enjoy it even while working towards that goal). I have a lot of good ideas floating through my head and i just jot them down and look into it but that's as far as I'm willing to invest in potential. I used free housing through couch surfer from the ~23 - December 2nd. Got a job as a Dishwasher (Access to food) $11/HR the 2nd and looked everywhere for the cheapest housing available near the work location, found a place a mile away for $300/M. Transportation and rent pretty much brought my balance from $500 to around ~8. Worked a week and joined early enough to get my first paycheck the next week , the 11th of December (bi-weekly basis).

Since then I've been living a very frugal life, my life before this was also a bit more frugal but i went from having ~10k saved up and around ~2-3k in checking to nothing so i wanted to start all over and get away from the comfort i was used to. I want to retire before at or before 30 and make enough money to support me after 30 so I don't ever have to look for work ever again because i can live without it. ~1.4k monthly from dish-washing, Right now I am making a plan to retire before 30 and am living extremely frugally, (paycheck -> 20% housing / 1.5% -> Food / 1.5% -> Groceries, 77% savings). Getting my emergency fund up for 6 months of support and after that I'm going to rush and make ~5.5k for a roth ira I'll be starting before the deadline ends with the help of a new job I'll be starting will put me at ~3k monthly,

I have no Debt / no car / no loans / no nada
Learning a lot about investing and financing, i wanted to start earlier but all the advice was to focus on talent / finding talent / but I know what I want to do in life and that's have a small place to myself, maybe a kid, maybe a wife, but i can live with just ~8k a year so I don't really need much to have a comfortable lifestyle.

Some more background -> I'm from Bangladesh originally, moved to the US for opportunities, life felt blank and without proper direction until around late 2015, like some crewmate on a ship, just following where the captain was taking me. Anyways, I'm glad to be here and i look forward to everything you have to teach me, thank you very much for taking the time to read this.
Saiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations on all you've done so far. A plan to reach Financial Independence in only 7 years seems very ambitious. Unless you can keep your expenses to near zero that seems like a lot to ask for your current income, even at a very high savings rate. Are you planning to gain additional skills and improve your income?
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Congratulations on all you've done so far. A plan to reach Financial Independence in only 7 years seems very ambitious. Unless you can keep your expenses to near zero that seems like a lot to ask for your current income, even at a very high savings rate. Are you planning to gain additional skills and improve your income?
Have around 8-9. I have a good skillset,
from web-development (have done projects worth ~4k) which covers HTML5 , CSS3, Javascript
to not super advanced but just enough CPP.

Besides that I might go into an apprenticeship for construction soon, good money but hard job.

I want to start my own company with the littlest of funds (less than 5K) and see if I'm able to profit towards retirement for it. I want to go somewhere tropical, maybe I'll go back to Bangladesh if it's not covered in water, living expenses won't cost me more than ~3-4k a year over there... but if i live in the US still, I don't see my living costs being more than ~8-10k max.
Saiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum!

I agree that accumulating enough to retire in 7 years is a bit ambitious. Not saying it can't be done but it means a very frugal lifestyle both before and after retirement.

Here are some issues to consider:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1399715